TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re trump university
heretosay - 2017-02-03
In response to Re trump university (Foxy)

You're right, Pigsy, I've never been to Pattaya, but I have spent a great deal of time in
Phuket (Patong) and have a lot of ex-pat friends there.

As for your example of a teacher confusing 'can't/cunt', it's not unusual for Chinese people
to get words confused. Sometimes it's quite amusing. A Chinese ex-gf of mine always
confused 'hungry' with 'angry', which always caused a smile, and one of my students
always confuses 'mention' with 'mansion'.

There also cannot be a FT in China who has never heard students laughing at 'beach' and
'bitch'.

As for me, I still can't tell the difference, in Chinese, between the sounds of 'shang' and
xiang'.

It's half the fun of teaching.....

I believe these are called "false cognates," but I would rely on Turnoi to clarify that. But, yes, there are some pretty funny examples that illustrate the difficulty that some learners demonstrate with certain similar sounding words. I had a lady friend in China who often confused "chicken" with "kitchen." Personally, I once asked for a child in Chinese when expressing my desire for chopsticks....lol, you can imagine the look I got from the waiter. By the way, though, the whole can't/cunt thing is nothing more than akin to an urban myth, and has been thrown about at more than one college in China.

The Toddler, though, exacerbates his problems with the English language by not reading well - as demonstrated by his claim that I taught at GXU when what I actually wrote was that I was quite familiar with said university. Nor did he bother mentioning which college employed him there.

And once more to set the record straight, I've never been a big supporter of training centers. I do support a logical approach, however, when discussing training centers. That is, if 99.9 percent of training centers are bad, that leaves .1 that are not. Also, to assume that one can know that all training centers are bad is ludicrous when considering the volume.

But more importantly, the problem the Toddler has with my approach is that I believe the blame for those training centers that are total shams needs to be placed on the shoulders of pretend FTs, such as himself, as well as on the shoulders of the con artists that run them. That said, though, I have seen a few excellent training centers run as joint ventures with highly qualified foreign administrators.

As for being a Chinese apologists, well, that's somewhat true; however, I do not support communist dictatorships. Moreover, less than 10% of the Chinese population are communists, which does make it the largest political party in the world but does not justify attacking the whole population.

I'm also an Anti-Imperialist.

I do believe that Taiwan belongs to China. Believe that about Tibet, too. And I hope that China builds a chain of islands all the way to Australia and then maybe a bridge right up to the Toddler's mommy's doorstep.

Finally, no, I'm happy to say I've never been to Pattaya. My only exposure to Thailand was touring Buddhist temples, which was an absolutely fascinating experience. Also spent time at a Buddhist commune. (A very humbling and gratifying experience.) But, no, I have no interest in hanging with a bunch of drunken sexpats.

Messages In This Thread
Re trump university -- Foxy -- 2017-02-02
Re trump university -- heretosay -- 2017-02-03
Re trump university -- Foxy -- 2017-02-03
Re trump university -- Trump diplomacy -- 2017-02-03
Re trump university -- Foxy -- 2017-02-03
Re: Re trump university -- Fifi -- 2017-02-03
Re: Re trump university -- Foxy -- 2017-02-03
Re: Re trump university -- Fifi -- 2017-02-03
Re: Re trump university -- heretosay -- 2017-02-03