TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › WORK VISA INQUIRY - Teachers Discussion
Sandra Anneth - 2006-11-23

Dear ESL teachers,

I have been offered a teaching job in China and I am almost done with my work visa. The problem is I ran across this website and I've learned that the recruitment agency I will be working with is blacklisted :-( I found out that they don't pay their teachers on time, will give their teachers unpaid extra teaching hours and basically exploit the rights of their foreign teachers. Being a woman, and this will be my first time going out of country, alone and a thousand miles away from my country, I am scared that I will be experiencing these stuffs.

My problem now is, I have signed the contract they sent me through e- mail and have sent it back to the recruiter and now I am having second thoughts about the job. What am I going to do now? Is it OK not to show up in Changchun and work some place else in China using the work visa they provided me?My work visa will come out in a few days, is it safe to use it even though I will be in another school and and in a different province? Also, is that some kind of a breach of contract kinda thing? I am scared that They will ask me to pay for a $2000 breach fee if I don't show up anymore something like that and they will track me here in my country (is that possible?)

I am bound to leave the last week of November... What do you guys think of my case?

· Previous · Next Return to Index › WORK VISA INQUIRY - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -