TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: toe the line
heretosay - 2017-02-24
In response to Re: toe the line (BeenThere)

I am surprised that the Chinese would accept such a
course. I thought they were against missionaries teaching in China. Why do you think a
course with such a title was allowed in their university? I can't think of any reason
but obviously there was a big one.

My question would be more along the lines of "why wouldn't they?" The Chinese are as equally, or more curious, about the outside world as, say, the average American is about China. I've never met another American, other than those who have an extreme interest in China or are involved in a study program about China, who knows what the San Tao is or how those three "religions," Taoism, Shamanism and Buddhism are woven into the brocade off Chinese culture both past and present.

The Chinese have a long history of seeking to understand more about the West through the way that Westerners practice religion. Granted there have been instances of persecution of missionaries and pockets of Christians that have surface over the years. Nothing quite like the inquisition, though.

A very revered person in China is Matteo Ricci, an Italian Jesuit Priest who was the first person to be invited to the Forbidden Palace. He was dedicated to giving his all to his understanding of China and exchanged all he knew to aid them in their understanding of the outside world and how the belief in God was a guiding principle. He became fluent in Chinese and astounded his hosts by how quickly he learned to write in Chinese and how sincerely he embraced their culture. He never actually got to meet the emperor, which I believe saddened him, but he lived in China for nearly three decades and died in Beijing in 1610.

So, again, I'm not surprised a religious class would be taught in China. The higher tiered the university, the more likely, in my opinion, would one find classes on religion and how Western religions have shaped their countries and their cultures. I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that one can get a degree in Comparative Religions in China.

I suppose, too, that if we want to, we can just say it's all about "know thy enemy." But I'd rather give credit to where credit is due. Intellectual curiosity crosses all boundaries and cultures.

Messages In This Thread
toe the line -- FTinPRC -- 2017-02-24
Re: toe the line -- BeenThere -- 2017-02-24
Re: toe the line -- heretosay -- 2017-02-24
Re: toe the line -- Simon -- 2017-02-25
Re: toe the line -- heretosay (aka China Apologist) -- 2017-02-25
expat experts -- FTinPRC -- 2017-02-28
Re expat experts -- heretosay -- 2017-02-28
Re: toe the line -- caring -- 2017-02-25
Re: toe the line -- heretosay (aka China Apologist) -- 2017-02-25
Re: toe the line -- caring -- 2017-02-26
Re: toe the line -- heretosay -- 2017-02-27