TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: toe the line
heretosay (aka China Apologist) - 2017-02-25
In response to Re: toe the line (Simon)

How about the US?

I'd have thought that a foreigner employed there legally who has bought an apartment, and who
has a US wife can get US nationality automatically after a fixed period of residential
and uninterrupted time in the country provided he has a clean criminal record. In the
UK, that period is 2 years.

That is a very different situation from China, where there must be very very few foreign
teachers who can get Chinese nationality easily!

So, I'd say western countries are truly immigration countries, unlike China! China
cherrypicks to a great extent - no comparison.

Of course I agree with your last assertion. There can be no comparison at this point. Later? Maybe. There are too many factors in the equation to make even an educated guess. There's also the issue of tit for tat when it comes to such matters as quotas that are determined by the political and diplomatic atmosphere at the time. However, I do believe that the PRC should not be blamed for taking a cautious, some would say paranoid, approach to immigration at this time. Hell, they're still trying to bring a g'zillion people out of poverty. They're still trying to create an education system that is workable for all, they're still trying to deal with corruption that is endemic in all developing nations and is exacerbated by the unending greed of the filthy rich who think they should be the ones calling the shots.

So, although immigration is on the rise in China, I agree that there is a high degree of selectivity. As to the question of FTs finding it difficult to establish themselves as immigrants, well, that's another issue, but hmm, never mind for now.

As for the laws in America regarding residency, it used to take seven years. Haven't looked into it lately and anyway Topsy Turvy Trump has everything turned upside down right now. Innocent, kind people are being rounded up and thrown out. Children, elderly and sick are not exempt. The gauntlet has been thrown. American citizens with increasing awareness coupled with basic human kindness are reacting to the inanity of it all.

Well, sorry, I taught immigrants in America for several years. I was involved with many of them - not just as a teacher but also as friend, guide and confidant. They brought out in me a kind of empathy I didn't even know I had. So anyway the issue is real and emotional to me.

Messages In This Thread
toe the line -- FTinPRC -- 2017-02-24
Re: toe the line -- BeenThere -- 2017-02-24
Re: toe the line -- heretosay -- 2017-02-24
Re: toe the line -- Simon -- 2017-02-25
Re: toe the line -- heretosay (aka China Apologist) -- 2017-02-25
expat experts -- FTinPRC -- 2017-02-28
Re expat experts -- heretosay -- 2017-02-28
Re: toe the line -- caring -- 2017-02-25
Re: toe the line -- heretosay (aka China Apologist) -- 2017-02-25
Re: toe the line -- caring -- 2017-02-26
Re: toe the line -- heretosay -- 2017-02-27