TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Are you dense, man?
Rheno747 - 2007-01-29
In response to None - Teachers Discussion (johnboy)

JB, are you f dense or something? I love guys like you. You keep me on the edge and help prove that I, along with my colleagues, know what the hell we're talking about.

I will tell folks to get a fake TESOL cert to "test drive" teaching before diving in and spending wads, and you throw a shit fit. Never mind I'm trying to make sure newbies have the info they need to help keep them from making bad decisions. You believe they will be helpless, hapless saps if they don't spend upwards of half their first year's salary on a one-month cert/diploma and plane ticket to the program. I say "get the fake", or at least "go cheap" on a cert. One will be better off.

And when I tell folks to get a master's degree in TESOL instead of a TESOL cert/diploma, you again throw a shit fit. Never mind that a master's degree will make them better teachers, more respectable teachers, more knowledgeable teachers, and better able to control their own destinies.

What gives, blowhard? I know you're trying to herd the sheep into some certificate program, but you have to know some of us out there, guys who've been in the trenches, see that a cert isn't really needed. A cert will actually tie one's hands to jobs he doesn't really want, such as teaching bratty kids at Hogwans in Korea or at high schools in Thailand where he'll make chicken scraps for pay, not to mention have to jump throw about a hundred annoying hoops.

Yes, what a TESOL teacher needs is some real credential firepower, such as a master's in TESOL. If every TESOL teacher had a master's in TESOL, he'd garner much more respect and would have to endure much less abuse. The TESOL world would be a much better place, which is the same argument interested types use to justify plopping down many hundreds for lame month-long TESOL cert programs.

Kapish?

Messages In This Thread
How's Thailand these days? - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-01-17
fake vs fake - Teachers Discussion *Link* *Picture* -- ICAL_Pete -- 2007-01-17
True--but go cheap, cheap, cheap - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-01-17
None - Teachers Discussion -- johnboy -- 2007-01-23
Are you dense, man? -- Rheno747 -- 2007-01-29
Hmmm. ICAL looks okay - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-01-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Are you dense, man?

Go to another board -