TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Qualifications: a licence to thrill? - Teachers Discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2007-01-30

This an interesting thread. While it can't be argued that it is good to encourage more EFL teachers to gain diplomas etc. in TESOL, I don't think holders of such diplomas should assume that they have the AUTOMATIC right to higher salaries than their colleagues with "lesser" degrees, nor do I think it automatically makes them better qualified to teach EFL.

I have worked with colleagues in China who had studied at places like MIT in America and had Master's degrees etc. These teachers were automatically given monthly salaries that were higher than mine. I had no problem with that because the original job adverts invariably mentioned tier system based salaries according to academic qualifications. But very often it became clear to all, especially the students that the last thing many of these teachers were in China to do, was to teach. One student told my wife that all one particularly "highly qualified" teacher used to do was strut around the classroom talking about how rich he was. English corner for some of those "qualified teachers" was a night out to see what was available at the "meat market".

I think that having too many qualifications can be detrimental to some individuals in that they may reach a comfort zone where they know that they can walk into a high salaried job anywhere. This sometimes leads to many just going through the motions and using their academic qualifications as a licence to booze, party and womanize all over the world. I've personally witnessed this myself. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your life, but if you call yourself a teacher get your job done FIRST. Who says that this behavior is only confined to less qualified people? In fact the opportunity of doing something like teaching EFL in China that those without academic degrees could not do in many other places is probably a greater incentive for them to do their best in appreciation for the opportunity.

How can a person who gained an academic degree even in TESOL expect to automatically recieve a higher salary than a non-degreed person if all he is NOW doing is swanning across the globe like a playboy, shouting " I'm a teacher. My degree tells me so", while he couldn't give a damn about whether his students learn anything, and his only motivation to reaching the university classroom by 8AM is to check out what "hot babes " are up for grabs? Is that sort of person qualified to teach EFL just because he has a TESOL degree and has been teaching it for many years? "Yes, but he put the time in to study for his degree!", some will say. That would be fine if the motivation was good, but aren't some just motivated by the higher salaries and the lifestyle such qualifications can help them acquire?

Surely the matter of whether somebody is qualified to teach EFL or not should be based on what results they are obtaining NOW. Shouldn't the matter of how much salary a teacher should get be based on their performance in the classroom TODAY. Not on what college course or degree they passed yesterday, last week, last year or twenty years ago. If a newbie fresh of the plane in China and new to EFL with minimum qualifications is going at it whole-souled in the classroom week in week out getting results should he not be entitled to the same salary if not more than Mr. Academic with his 2.4 TESOL degrees who is busy showing of his suntan and flashy haircut to the girls in the classroom next door?

High academic degrees without heart, soul and desire for EFL is like a flashy Ferrari or Porsche with no engine. All looks and image but no use, except to look at. Dancing foreign monkeys in EFL come from ALL academic backgrounds. Qualifications don't just stop at degree certificates, they should more include blood, sweat and tears that have been shed in the classroom and results and progress that has been made by whole-souled teachers who don't believe that they know it all, nor believe that they are entitled to anything except to be paid and judged on the results that they are obtaining in the classroom today!

Messages In This Thread
Qualifications: a licence to thrill? - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-01-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Qualifications: a licence to thrill? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -