TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks a million, Uncle Sam! - Teachers Discussion
Eagle - 2007-02-01

Thanks a million for posting this very vital information. Along with "Fish," I'd like to read the entire text of the document, if possible.

I've been teaching English in China for almost four years, and while I truly love the learning relationship I share with my students (no matter where I teach in China), I am usually quite frustrated and angered by poor, exploitative management, and delaing with people that know NOTHING about English education or how to work effectively with foreign teachers.

In the past two years, the problem with working in China also now extends to foreigners willing to accept pathethic salaries and other ridiculous contract terms.

This growing trend is causing qualified, dedicated teachers to consider leaving China altogether, because time and time again, I have seen that most schools (be they public institutions or private enterprises) opt for the cheapest teacher, not the best teacher available. So many times someone in a "leadership" position has said to me: "Our school just needs of foreign face, we don't care about the quality of your teaching!"

I didn't leave America for China to make lots of money; but I certainly didn't come to China to help other folks get rich off my efforts to help others (usually overcharged students and their gullable parents)improve their lives.

Thanks again for your excellent post!

Messages In This Thread
Thanks a million, Uncle Sam! - Teachers Discussion -- Eagle -- 2007-02-01
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks a million, Uncle Sam! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -