TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Powerpoint - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2007-02-13
In response to Great stuff, KJ! - Teachers Discussion (Yingwen Laoshi)

Yeah definitely Yingwen; I wouldn't consider using PowerPoint as the main thrust of my classes - only one aspect. Fortunately, it's an aspect that keeps both the students and me engaged.
I think one of the greatest bits of info I found on "Powerpoint Zen" that definitely applies to ESL/EFL classes is to limit your presentation to no more than 10 slides; in addition, he makes a great point, often reiterrated - so he really believes this - that one must be careful not to make powerpoint the where-all and end-all of your presentation. That is, be sure to have handouts that go along with the presentations. And of course it's important to remember that as EFL teachers we need to keep lecture time to a minimum.

I'm still trying to balance it out myself, so any feedback will definitely be appreciated. Right now I'm working on an opening day powerpoint for a new class for third year students I've been asked to teach. The whole thing is in my hands, even the name of the class, "Western Film and Media." In this case it will be more of a lecture type class with 75 students in a fully supported lecture hall.

Of course I want opening day to be pretty dynamic. I only get them for two class sessions a week. Basically, that's an 80 minute block once a week. My current plan for the first day is to give them a handout as they come through the door. I'll ask them not to open it though - only to look at the cover page. The cover page will simply say "Connections!" Then for the next 80 minutes, interspersed with introductions and that sort of thing, we will discuss and I will introduce the whole concept of connections. "How do we connect to music, art, film , etc.?" "What does it mean to connect?" "And of course there will be some talk about "connecting" to one's culture." Lot's of questions, but few answers. Or as a college prof of mine use to say, "The question is the answer."
At any rate, powerpoint will be a pivotal part of my intro, but not necessarily the meat and potatoes - maybe just the gravy. Even still, I want it to be dynamic and I want it to stir their emotions. I finally figured out had to add music from my own files. If you want to give that a try, go to "insert" on the PowerPoint tool bar and you'll find it there.
Okay, keep me posted my friend. All input is highly appreciated.
And oh yeah, that chalk you're using is highly toxic - be careful not to breathe it in. And to be fair there are dangers with PowerPoint to: DO NOT look into the projector! Very bad for the eyes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Power Point - Teachers Discussion *Picture* -- KJ -- 2007-02-12
Great stuff, KJ! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-02-13
Re: Powerpoint - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-02-13
My approach: first lesson - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-02-14
PwrPt - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-02-15
Thanx for the Memories! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-02-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Powerpoint - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -