TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The Law is the Law - Even in China! - Teachers Discussion
Dave - 2007-03-03
In response to Degree Law - Teachers Discussion (J. Edgar)

The requirement for a degree became legal sometime last year. I know this, for I work for a school that is punctilious about adhering to regulations and at the time my own visa had to be renewed last August, this requirement was discussed at our school with regard to the recruitment of future teachers. Previously the school employed anyone who was deemed appropriate for the job and who could produce any documented proof of qualifications that would satisfy the local Foreign Affairs Office. That office notified our school of the requirement for degrees only.

I can entirely understand that in your position where you really want a job in China,. the requirement for a degree is the very last thing you want to hear. The fact that you have not heard of it or that no-one else has mentioned it makes no difference to the facts. In China a degree is now a requirement and if you should be offered a job where you don't have to produce one then someone is breaking the law in making such an offer and you will be breaking the law should you accept it.

Immigration laws exist in one form or another in almost every country on earth. They are also some of the most widely flouted. If you were to accept a job based on an 'F' Visa the likelihood of you being 'found-out' may be relatively slight. However, if you ARE found out the consequences may well be serious for you. It is not really worth the risk in my opinion but fortunately for me it is not my opinion that counts in this issue - it is yours.

A past colleague of mine who left our school has set himself up in Beijing with a 'Z' Visa he bought. He now moves around Beijing in the role as a 'freelance' teacher offering his services to various schools. I understand he is doing quite well and reports that the authorities generally leave foreigners alone. Perhaps you might investigate buying yourself a visa - but if you are found out you are in extremely serious trouble.

As I said in my earlier e-mail. The law is the law and if you break the law and are unfortunate enough to be apprehended, you will face unpleasant consequences. Then it will be too late to change your mind!

Best wishes

Dave

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in China w/o Degree - Teachers Discussion -- J. Edgar -- 2007-03-01
Teaching without a degree - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2007-03-02
Degree Law - Teachers Discussion -- J. Edgar -- 2007-03-02
degree - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2007-03-27
no degree: good luck - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-03-27
The Law is the Law - Even in China! - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2007-03-03
Without Degree - Teachers Discussion -- University Teacher -- 2007-03-04
without degree - teachers discussion - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Leslie -- 2007-03-04
China/Degree - Teachers Discussion -- Foreign Teacher -- 2007-03-05
without degree - teachers discussion - Teachers Discussion -- Leslie -- 2007-03-06
Let's Degree to Dis-degree - Teachers Discussion -- Foreign Teacher -- 2007-03-06
China : Rough plasce to work - Teachers Discussion -- Tim. -- 2007-03-04
Finding the Law - Teachers Discussion -- J. Edgar -- 2007-03-04
No Degree Required - Teachers Discussion -- Foreign Teacher -- 2007-03-04
Without a Degree - Teachers Discussion -- University Teacher -- 2007-03-03
Teaching without a degree - Teachers Discussion - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Leslie -- 2007-03-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The Law is the Law - Even in China! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -