TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › China : Rough plasce to work - Teachers Discussion
Tim. - 2007-03-04

Best to stay out of China as a worker unless the curiosity is burning in you. I wporded there for 6 months and learned a lot, made a few friends but it is a rough assignment and there are business swindles everywhere. If caught in a lie shopkeepers and clerks often try to cover it with another lie. My two favourite students were robbed and swindled while I was there. They dont go to the police as they say its useless. Some shop keepers will scream at you to frighten you off if you bring back defective goods. My air ticket *Eastern China Airways) was not honoured and no refund give..recourse?? buy another. Where is the morality after 62 years of Communism? Many poor countries are full of tricks and corruption. Have to have your wits about you. Too many Chinese are money hungry and that is about it. They are very much brainwashed about Taiwan and Tibet. A lot of what we admire about China is old China, museum China. The general poverty under Communism led to a steep decline in the fine arts and many buildings. People had no money for fine arts and most monastaries were confiscated or destroyed. I dont regret going to China but it is best done as a tourist. You can live there very cheaply for half a year and it is not difficult to befriend English students. Many are idealistic, respectful and helpful. Be prepared to pick up the bus and lunch tabs as they have little pocket money. I took one student on spring holiday with me to Yunnan and as a translator he was a godsend. I was a godsend to him. The Chinese produce many fine doccumentaries they air on TV. If you can get hold of these and watch the modern and older Chinese cinema you will learn a lot from home. One of my favourite movies is Beijing Bicycle.

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in China w/o Degree - Teachers Discussion -- J. Edgar -- 2007-03-01
Teaching without a degree - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2007-03-02
Degree Law - Teachers Discussion -- J. Edgar -- 2007-03-02
degree - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2007-03-27
no degree: good luck - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-03-27
The Law is the Law - Even in China! - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2007-03-03
Without Degree - Teachers Discussion -- University Teacher -- 2007-03-04
without degree - teachers discussion - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Leslie -- 2007-03-04
China/Degree - Teachers Discussion -- Foreign Teacher -- 2007-03-05
without degree - teachers discussion - Teachers Discussion -- Leslie -- 2007-03-06
Let's Degree to Dis-degree - Teachers Discussion -- Foreign Teacher -- 2007-03-06
China : Rough plasce to work - Teachers Discussion -- Tim. -- 2007-03-04
Finding the Law - Teachers Discussion -- J. Edgar -- 2007-03-04
No Degree Required - Teachers Discussion -- Foreign Teacher -- 2007-03-04
Without a Degree - Teachers Discussion -- University Teacher -- 2007-03-03
Teaching without a degree - Teachers Discussion - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Leslie -- 2007-03-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › China : Rough plasce to work - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -