TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Advice on China - Teachers Discussion
Experienced in Asia - 2007-03-09
In response to (Message Deleted by Poster) (Kathleen)

I must agree with a previous comment here.
I believe it would be a great mistake to re-locate the whole family to a country in Asia without any past experience of the living and working conditions over here. The advice given that one parent should come alone to begin with is sound. Burning your bridges is not something to be undertaken lightly.

Just on a point of interest, the syntax in the original sentence regarding "them things" is I'm afraid, straight from the George Dubya school of English.

"I would like to know about the toys and children's DVDs availavle in China. Would I be able to find them things to watch and play with that are in English"?

As "toys and children's DVDs" were mentioned immediately before the close of the previous sentence, they naturally became the subject of the question in the next.
Like it or not, the way that the original sentence was constructed just doesn't scam. Basic sentence structure is important to avoid confusing students of the English language.
Proof-reading is also recommended before posting.

Messages In This Thread
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- Kathleen -- 2007-03-07
Teaching in China - Teachers Discussion -- English teacher in China -- 2007-03-08
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- Kathleen -- 2007-03-08
Advice on China - Teachers Discussion -- Experienced in Asia -- 2007-03-09
I AGREE! - Teachers Discussion -- Another American Teacher -- 2007-03-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Advice on China - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -