TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › a moral dilemma - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2007-04-23

Kudos to Manchu for providing some interesting links. Although I didnt follow all of them, I did click on a few and found some interesting reading. As per his request, Ill confine my comments to only one of them: http://education.guardian.co.uk/tefl/teaching/story/0,15085,1677221,00.html

This particular website, in that it addresses the issue of ethical accountability, is quite to my liking. It dispenses with the notion of litigation and deals directly with dilemmas that are blackening the EFL waters throughout the world. Furthermore, it approaches the problem from a position of concern for students, parents, and the condition and therefore reputation of the ESL/EFL business itself. I would rather have seen them make a clearer distinction between ESL and EFL, but I wont harp on that particular crease in an otherwise well ironed out concept.

By clicking on the link above and following the next link, http://www.tesol-law.com/codeofethics, one can find a proposed set of ethical standards that has been posted online. The authors have suggested that any comments and/or requested changes are encouraged. By following another of the posted links, a paper authored by Robert J. Dickey can be found. This work examines the proposed ethics from a very objective standpoint. An interesting excerpt follows:

The draft code of ethics presented by TESOL-Law is unique in an important aspect: this is not the work of a membership society that can call for all members to uphold these rules, nor is it a project by official representatives of a number of such groups. It is unclear whether a system will be developed for individuals to "profess" their subscription to a code of ethics, or that adoption of the code is to be something less public. Whether this situation will be a blessing or a curse is as yet unknown, but it surely affects the disciplinary authority of the code's enforcement committee (such a committee has been removed from the 2006 draft version). As has been argued (see DeGeorge, 1987, as cited in MacDonald, n.d.-b, and other writers), the mere process of considering and developing a code is an important aspect in the development of a sense of professional ethics, even for those aspects that are never adopted. A code can encourage discussion on the issues and improve how people deal with ethical dilemmas (Ethics Resource Center, n.d.). On the other hand, if this code can encourage professional bodies to adopt their own codes, perhaps largely based on this design (which would make this something of a "model code") then perhaps it has accomplished more than it would as a free-standing set of rules.

What I find most compelling in the above paragraph is the reference to the process as being an important aspect. I couldnt agree more, and I think that this statement defines what we are trying to do here and what Manchu hopes to achieve in this thread.
I imagine that few of us who have been in China for any length of time have been able to avoid the recognition that there are those amongst us who are glaringly misplaced as teachers. Since it is possible for their qualifications to have been falsely documented or there absence of qualifications to be glossed over, it is difficult not to place some of the blame on those who are doing the hiring; however, in my opinion now that Ive had more time to think this over, that is a moot point. The burden of responsibility lies on the shoulders of the ill qualified teacher who deems to pass himself off as a professional and who does so without feeling obliged to follow any code of ethics. Indeed, the whole concept of honor is perhaps lost on said teacher.

Were it only that such teachers only wanted to gain a quick buck and passage to and travel around this amazing country that would be one thing. But the unfortunate truth is that their actions all too often negatively affect those who are in their charge. Moreover, their actions, if immoral, can have a serious impact on the respectability of the profession as a whole and may even seriously damage the reputations of teachers who certainly do not deserve to have their reputations damaged. It harkens back to the old days of The Ugly American. (This is something I experienced first hand while in Japan from 1964-1966. I was a wide eyed eighteen year old at the time that I stepped off the plane in Tokyo. Little did I know that I would have to navigate the mine field of discontent that my fellow Americans had laid throughout Japan before I could establish some real meaningful relationships.)

WE have a responsibility. That is a given. Should we, can we, monitor and govern our colleagues? Thats pretty sketchy. Can we be a part of an important process? Definitely. Oh well, maybe Ill always have more questions than answers more observations than solutions. But this I know: Needs should be addressed. Communication is of paramount importance.

Maybe I should start by being sure that Im following my own guidelines. As in removing the mote from mine own eye. Id like to think Im there already, but life itself is an arduous path, isnt it? We keep falling and failing and we must get up and try again. Sometimes I try to be a guide, but Im not always sure Im seeing the true light. Im imperfect. And forgetful I have to relearn things.

But this Im sure of: Confrontation breeds confrontation. Inquiries beat the hell out of accusations when it comes to seeking the best out of communication. I hope I can remember that. If nothing else, only that because in many situations younger or less experienced teachers are simply in need of guidance.

However, those without a moral backbone, or those who won't listen to well intentioned advice? I'd just as soon help them onto the plane and hope that they don't land elsewhere where they can continute to inflict damage on unsuspecting students or their hardworking parents.

Messages In This Thread
a moral dilemma - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-04-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › a moral dilemma - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -