TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Fleeing? - Teachers Discussion
Daniel - 2007-05-15

I am considering a job in Chongqing and I am as confident as I can be from half a world away that the employer and the job ahead are worth taking and will result in a fun and valuable experience.

However, for all the serious doubts and reservations that I have read on this and other forums, I am curious about my ability to extricate myself from a negative employment experience.

I have every intention of fulfilling the contract that I sign, but in the event that the employer decides to break the contract in such a manner that it becomes necessary for me to leave the city or the country, how difficult could it be for me to get out of the situation pronto?

I figure that moving the return flight date to an earlier time will be the least of my difficulties.

My main concern is this sense I have that the nature of legal matters in China is such that a relationship between business persons and the authorities can present obstacles to my return home.

The nightmare scenario that I envision is that the employer will get wind that I have decided to leave suddenly, and will inform the authorities that I am attempting to exit the country with a visa based on a contract that I have failed to fulfill. The authorities could potentially detain me for an indefinite length of time.

What I want to know from the informed here is whether this is a reasonable scenario? Or are there other possibilities that may prevent me from leaving? I just want to know that if I get over there and I get screwed, that I will be able to get back if necessary.

Messages In This Thread
Fleeing? - Teachers Discussion -- Daniel -- 2007-05-15
Fleeing China - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Jamieson -- 2007-05-16
For Daniel -- with thanks to DB, Jamieson, and Fish - Teachers Discussion -- Old and Tired -- 2007-05-19
For Old and Tired - Teachers Discussion -- Alicia -- 2007-05-19
I thought the point was to help Daniel - Teachers Discussion -- Old and Tired -- 2007-05-19
Daniel - Teachers Discussion -- Alicia -- 2007-05-19
Great Post by fish, for attention of Daniel. - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Jamieson -- 2007-05-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Fleeing? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -