TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › No "feedback"? Welcome to China! - Teachers Discussion
Old and Tired - 2007-05-21

Hello, Kerry!

You write: "The school has not given any feedback on age groups, or levels involved."

Welcome to China! This lack of information is only the first of many likely failures of communication. Probably in the mind of the people organizing the summer camp, you are only a teacher; such information regarding the students, the program, etc., is not necessary for you to know. You're a teacher, TEACH! You don;t need to ask so many questions.

Actually, the most important warning I can give you is that I often read horror stories on this and other ESL websites where people such as yourself, leave home with good intentions to teach well and have an interesting experience in China, only to arrive and find there is no camp, no job.

One very possible reason the organization is not forthcoming about the details is at this point, they only HOPE to have enough students. If, toward the start date of the camp, they haven't enrolled enough students for them to make a high profit, they will likely cancel the summer camp program.

Problem is, you will have purchased your plane ticket, or likely be in the air, bound for China at the moment they decide to abort the program.

Do your best to be VERY SURE that the camp is actually happening. I've read so many times where new teachers come here, only to find themselves stranded with no job, no place to stay, etc.

Be very careful, coming to China, for only a short-term job, in the beginning. Foreign teachers who are already here can take more risks than you about such short-term summer camps.

AND if the camp DOES happen, be prepared to teach ALL THE TIME! You will teach perhaps four hours before lunch, four hours after lunch, and probably be expected to provide some programs (games, English Corner, etc.) after supper. They will gain every possible minute of teaching from you, until you say "No more!"

They will likely tell you 6-8 teaching hours per day, but then after your arrival, will add many more teaching hours, such as English Corner. If you say you are confused, they will say something like: "Oh, we don't consider English Corner poart of your actual teaching hours." But trust me, all of it will be working and teaching. Very little relaxing.

Good luck, Kerry, and approach China with great trepidiation!!!

Messages In This Thread
summer camps basics - Teachers Discussion -- kerry -- 2007-05-21
No "feedback"? Welcome to China! - Teachers Discussion -- Old and Tired -- 2007-05-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › No "feedback"? Welcome to China! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -