TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › On being "more 'Chinese''" - Teachers Discussion
Old and Tired - 2007-05-22

Thanks, again, Turnoi!

Yes, on the subject of being more Chinese

I arranged to come to China about five months prior to my arrival time (in 2003). During those five months, I tried to read as many books about Chinese culture (not so much ancient history, as recent and/or contemporary culture as suggested by Chinese friends in America). I also tried to watch as many Chinese films made within the past ten years as possible also. I did what little I could to prepare myself for this daunting experience.

Since coming here, I do my very best (and its not difficult for me) to do things the Chinese Way (as some foreigners and Chinese people call it) as much as possible SOCIALLY. About 90% of what I eat most days is some sort of Chinese food, and I enjoy and embrace many of the Chinese social traditions. Socially, I really try to do as the Romans do, so to speak.

As has been discussed so much before, in yours, mine, Fishs, and others postings is the working and business conditions of China. This is the area in which I am far less flexible perhaps even downright stubborn at times.

Chinese people sometimes (usually unknowingly, and without malice) say things that are offensive to me. These unfortunate moments never make me feel angry. Im sure I sometimes make these kinds of faux pas as well, but it is never my intention to hurt or offend anyone (from any country or culture different from my own).

That being said, no statement can raise my anger and defenses faster than when I am debating some crazy, or unprofessional, or illogical policy with a Chinese school leader or administrator who retorts my argument with: You should be more Chinese!!!

I always come back with: The reason you hired me is because I am NOT Chinese. If I were Chinese, they would not bother to engage in a debate with me. I would likely be told to get out. Debate concluded. I continue with the argument that they seek the benefit of my non-Chinese-ness for cultural, educational and (more importantly) financial benefit.

In the eyes of so many school bosses and head masters we are viewed as little more than zoo animals, put on display for collecting tuitions.

Dont agree with me, folks? If this is not true, then why does every training center I have worked in (four of them) have 100% glass classrooms, meeting rooms, and offices??? The consultants (sales people) are constantly parading potential customers past the FTs office (we are held in one collective area, always next to front door), or class, or English Corner, to show them the current collection: Here is the pink-white American species, the Canadian species, the Australian species, etc. (very few or no dark species to be seen or displayed) all part of the BUSINESS (as many posters call it) of ESL in China and often to the delight of future student and/or their parents.

FTs are a commodity because we are NOT Chinese, so when the same people who gain financial benefit from my outward appearance and cultural difference suddenly demand that I be more Chinese, the quarrelling begins.

Messages In This Thread
On being "more 'Chinese''" - Teachers Discussion -- Old and Tired -- 2007-05-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › On being "more 'Chinese''" - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -