TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks much, but... - Teachers Discussion
outtahere - 2007-06-11

Hello, again, KJ, and thanks for your response. Sorry, but I think theres still some misunderstanding going on here. What I am saying is that these International Departments are at the very public universities you are more favorably describing. The one where I recently worked (and just detailed) is considered an old, established, reputable public university. The contract I signed said nothing about these supplementary, commercial ventures the public university was engaged in (and which is becoming increasingly commonplace here).

FTs who sign contracts from their home countries might believe they will teach the legitimate students of the university, but after arriving here will discover they are part of a non-academic, commercial business designed to make a few well-positioned university administrators or leaders (as they like to call themselves) much richer off the backs of unsuspecting foreigners and desperate Chinese parents.

If these schools could be easily identified as International University of whatever, or International College of blah, blah, blah, then it would be much more transparent and possibly avoidable to newbie FTs preparing for China. But as it is now, the International Departments are housed within reputable public universities.

Messages In This Thread
glad to leave china - Teachers Discussion -- cynthia w -- 2007-06-10
bad schools - Teachers Discussion -- PolyAnna -- 2007-06-11
100,000+ "happy" FTs in China - Teachers Discussion -- Crass SOB -- 2007-06-13
Re "Glad to Leave......." - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-06-10
"International Departments" at public universities - Teachers Discussion -- outtahere -- 2007-06-11
a valid point - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-06-11
Thanks much, but... - Teachers Discussion -- outtahere -- 2007-06-11
you're right again; however.... - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-06-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks much, but... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -