TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › My two cents worth......... - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2007-06-12

because by some that's about all the credence I'll get for saying so, but the whole notion of so many Chinese wanting to move to America is a lot of poppycock. There seems to be a commonality about this assertion in that it usually comes from those who are disheartened by their China experience. Not being able to form a valid argument beyond banal sweeping statements that attack the Chinese government, Chinese people, Chinese business and etc., they believe they can gain sympathy through such a false assertion.
The fact is that the majority of the Chinese people haven't got the time to even consider such a far flung notion. Those that do have the time or the education or the inclination to consider it, especially once they have learned the true facts about living in such places as America, ultimately reach the conclusion that their lives would be better spent in helping their own country achieve what not along ago would have seemed impossible.
I've been in China for nearly four years and have polled all of my students with this question. I think about .01% of them have stated that they'd like to leave China permanently. Sure, many of them would like to visit other countries. Aren't all people curious about other countries? But on the other hand they see the problems they are facing here at home and, other than the spoiled little bratty offspring of the elitists and the rich, they are for the most part hopeful that they can help solve such problems as rampant corruption, unfair business practices and serious environmental damage.
Finally, the notion that everyone in China is anxious to live in America or some other Western country is an extremely ethnocentric point of view. As if we are so great, everyone wants to be like us. Poppycock and balderdash.
Well, whatever, I'd better shut up before I get carried away.

Messages In This Thread
My two cents worth......... - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-06-12
Chinese emigration - Teachers Discussion -- eng.teacher -- 2007-06-25
Cite your source - Teachers Discussion -- Wonderer -- 2007-06-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › My two cents worth......... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -