TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The Point - Teachers Discussion
eng.teacher - 2007-07-01

Hi KJ. Have you read the article in the China Daily dated 2007-01-06? It's about The Report on the Development of Chinese Talent in 2006 published by The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. In it they state that 70% of students who went to study abroad between the years of 1978 and 2006 did NOT return. They report that of the 1.06 MILLION Chinese students who went to study overseas ONLY 275000 returned home.
By my poor math thats 28 years. A little longer than it takes to see Disneyland, I'm sure you will agree.
How long must they stay abroad before you admit they are NEVER coming back?
As for your "waiting for someone to tell you how this relates to the earlier stated assertion that this is a representative faction of the population in terms of people wanting to flee China ( Paraphrased )"I do not recall anyone stating that. Whether you paraphrase it or not.
I also do not recall anyone stating that the people wanting to leave China do so because they hate their country and culture. They leave or do not return, in my opinion, because they have a better life in their adopted country. Surely even you would not try to argue that the Chinese students who choose to stay abroad , do so because they believe that their lives will be WORSE than if they returned to China.I don't think so!
They do NOT return because they believe that their lives will be BETTER in another country. And, according to the report mentioned above, this has been true for the last 28 years!
Also I don't recall anyone claiming that there would be an inevitable " exodus of boat people". That is a claim that you have invented in order to try to belittle the people that hold an opposing view to your own. Why do you feel it neccesary to do that?
So in future if you do not believe figures that are quoted here and you ask for the Source, if it is given to you, please have the courtesy to read it and respond accordingly, otherwise I, for one, will not take you seriously and regard you as an apologist for " The boys in Beijing"
Have a nice day.

Messages In This Thread
Leaving China - Teachers Discussion -- eng.teacher -- 2007-06-25
Okay - Teachers Discussion -- Wonderer -- 2007-06-25
Here's the source - Teachers Discussion -- eng.teacher -- 2007-06-30
75% Don't Return - Teachers Discussion -- Tony -- 2007-06-30
your point is? - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-06-30
The Point - Teachers Discussion -- eng.teacher -- 2007-07-01
Blurry-eyed from the Beijing kool-aid - Teachers Discussion -- Fed Up FT -- 2007-07-02
it is to laugh....sincerely - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-07-02
Regrets... - Teachers Discussion -- Fed Up FT -- 2007-07-02
Thanks Fed Up - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-07-02
Thanks, and more - Teachers Discussion -- Fed Up FT -- 2007-07-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The Point - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -