TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › OK, I see... - Teachers Discussion
Old and Tired - 2007-07-08
In response to perhaps - Teachers Discussion (KJ)

KJ, thanks for the clarification. I have a much better understanding of your concept of "speaking out" (so to speak).

I also find that when students feel "safe" they will open up more about various social-political issues.

I too, avoid any discussion (or least involving myself in any discussions) regarding Taiwan. I feel it is truly for the Chinese people to navigate and decide this issue for themselves.

Where perhaps you and I differ most is rate of change. If I am to accept changes at this glacial pace, then it makes China's soaring development in other areas even more out-of-sync with other shifts in the culture. The way it feels more and more to me is that there is far more resistance to change than to considering, or (God forbid) embracing change.

I'm not trying to pummel you (or anyone) with articles (I swear!) but one just popped tonight (from Associated Press) which I think relates to our discussion.

I've pasted the piece below, in its entirety:

China links promotions to unrest control

July 8, 2007

Local Chinese leaders will have a better chance of winning job promotions if they can limit social unrest in rural areas, state media on Sunday quoted a ruling Communist Party official as saying.

The party has become increasingly concerned at protests in recent years by ordinary Chinese venting their anger over official corruption, a yawning rich-poor gap and land grabs.

Unrest also can occur when simple accidents or arguments attract large crowds and quickly spin out of control.

"Officials who perform poorly in maintaining social security in rural areas will not be qualified for promotion," Ouyang Song, deputy head of the Organization Department of the party's Central Committee, was quoted as saying by Xinhua News Agency.

Xinhua said the comments were made Thursday at a conference for senior officials in Beijing.

At the same conference, Public Security Vice Minister Liu Jinguo told the police to launch a monthlong inspection into social disorder in rural areas, the report said.

"Fugitive criminals and underworld gangs, as well as those who steal rural production materials, produce or sell fake and substandard commodities, kidnap children and women and smuggle drugs, explosives and guns will be targeted," Liu said.

He also urged the police to investigate and report on the disputes which may give rise to "mass incidents" or crimes in rural areas.

Xinhua said that from January to September 2006, about 385,000 rural people participated in "mass incidents." It did not define what constituted a mass incident.

In March, a newspaper connected to the Communist Party called on local governments to use less force when dealing with such protests.

The Study Times, a weekly sponsored by the party's Central Committee, appealed to local governments and police to distinguish between a "collective appeal for help from violations of the law." It followed a protest in Hunan against rising bus fares that reportedly drew 20,000 residents and prompted a harsh police crackdown in which witnesses said one person was killed.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Messages In This Thread
what do you hope? - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-07-06
Speaking, and SPEAKING OUT -- and more... - Teachers Discussion -- Old and Tired -- 2007-07-08
perhaps - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2007-07-08
OK, I see... - Teachers Discussion -- Old and Tired -- 2007-07-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › OK, I see... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -