TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Overcome and Enjoy! - Teachers Discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2007-07-25

Stephanie

I'm sorry to hear about your experience of discrimination at Metro International English.

You've done the right thing in warning people about their ignorant attitude. It's ignorant to base their criteria and requirements for teachers on the colour of skin because in that way they are not just causing needless offence, and straining international relations, but they are also denying their students the opportunity to be exposed to people from a variety of different backgrounds. They also miss out on some potentially good teachers because with those kinds of schools if a person looks white enough it probably wouldn't matter if he has zero qualifications.

Is it racism? Well, to me it doesn't seem to be, at least not in the conventional sense as I understand it to be in the West. Racism is where someone treats someone unfairly because they believe that person is of an inferior race and is not deserving of equal treatment. Now, if that is the reason for such schools to discriminate against people of colour, then why do many of the same types of schools in CHINA even discriminate against Western born native English speakers of CHINESE descent? Can a person, institution or country be racist against people of their own race and NATIONALITY? I've heard about Western born Chinese, English teachers being told that they look too Chinese to teach English in China by CHINESE leaders in schools in China. Now I ask again-Is that racism?

Now the reason I make the point above is not to justify the vile discriminatory practices carried out by many Chinese schools. I'm putting the racism question out there to try to get to the heart of what is a big problem in EFL in China. Also by really understanding why some schools in China practice this, maybe persons of colour can better deal with this "problem" and find practical ways to overcome these scenarios. Now it may be simply be racism, but then how would that explain Chinese people discriminating against people of Chinese descent in China?

Although I wouldn't rule out racism being the factor in some cases, I think this issue is mostly about image and appearance. These schools believe a white person fits the general image of a native speaker better than a black or yellow person. Some parents particularly in private schools will feel that they are getting sold an "inferior" product if the teacher is not white. "That person can't be a native speaker, nor can they speak English well if they don't have white skin" is the cry. So the school feels that it will lose custom and money.

As a mixed-race black guy from England who has been teaching EFL in China for four and a half years, what has been my experience in China? Firstly, I always send a clear photograph of myself so that schools can be in no doubt about my colour BEFOREHAND. This way I know that if I'm invited to a school to teach, they already know my colour and obviously have no problem with it. This helps to weed out the schools that discriminate, and in my case it has meant that I have never had the experience of arriving at a school and being told that they want white teachers.

I do remember, however, two occasions when the issue of my colour was brought up by schools during the application process, while I was sending of my details to schools . In the first instance I made the mistake of not sending a photo, so the only thing they had to go on was the copy of my passport photo, which of course was not very clear. They sent an e-mail back wanting confirmation of my skin colour. After my direct, and firm response, they claimed that they did hire black teachers but preferred to use them with certain students blah! blah! blah!... I didn't follow up that one! On another occasion this time after sending a clear photo, I received an e-mail in reply to one of my applications in which the school claimed that their students like white teachers. OK! Good riddance!

Those are the only experiences of discrimination that I'm AWARE of experiencing in China. I have worked for seven schools since being in China. On each occasion during my job searches I've always sent of quite a good number of applications to schools, and usually get a fair response. Of those who DON'T respond, who knows how many are ignoring me because of my skin colour? As long as I don't have too much trouble finding good schools that judge teachers on their MERITS, then why should I care? Should we care THAT much? Why should we care? It's THEIR choice!

"SOD 'EM!"

It's THEIR loss!

The fact remains that I've never had a problem in finding regular employment in China, despite my brown skin. This is because not all Chinese schools ignorantly discriminate on the grounds of colour. Many do not. From personal experience I still don't think a teacher of colour is overly restricted in finding employment over here. Even if ALL schools in China were colour discriminatory, I wouldn't care much. I would just find another country where my talents would be more appreciated.

I think you should try bigger more developed places like Beijing, Stephanie. In two private schools I worked for there (one of which was a fairly well known chain school), I found no evidence of colour discrimination at all. In the chain school the boss was an African woman whose English was excellent and who was well liked by the students because of her ability to teach well and hold the interest of her students. They employed other black teachers, including myself. The ironic thing is that four WHITE teachers who I met personally, one being a mate of mine were told they were not required at these two schools because the students or the managers complained about their "accents". The four teachers were from Northern England, the American South, South Africa and Russia.

The fact is in the two Beijing schools that I worked at, the requirement was based on accent and teaching skills, not colour, although admittedly younger, better looking teachers, were also preferred. I only remember one black teacher who was from Nigeria being told to leave but I think it was justified because his pronunciation was poor. The rich educated parents seemed to be a lot more discerning in Beijing. They were fussy, yes, but they were looking for SUBSTANCE.

Turnoi, mentioned things getting worse. I don't agree. As more and more FTs come over here to work obviously a greater percentage of persons of colour will come too. I'm convinced greater exposure will gradually change the thinking of those school leaders and parents who discriminate. Are there any anti-discrimination laws in China? I believe there are, but I think they are much less implemented here than they are in the West. Over here discrimination is far more tolerated.

So what can we do? Stephanie, I advise you to ALWAYS send a photo of yourself when applying for teaching jobs in China. This will virtually guarantee that you will have no more unpleasant experiences like you mentioned. Also, apply mainly to STATE schools in China. There is a lot less discrimination and many are actually interested in educating their students!
What I have found is that once a person actually STARTS working in a state school in China, whatever their colour they are then judged simply on their MERITS. My experience is that once you start working at a school, what you give is what you get. If you work hard and try to reach the students, teach well, engage them and do your best by them you will reap dividends, whatever your colour. If on the other hand , you just go through the motions, and show you don't care about doing a professional job you generally will not be asked to re-sign another contract, regardless of your skin colour. Of course you also need to be discerning in finding a GOOD state school.

To persons of colour:Once you know how to manoeuvre around discriminatory practices of some schools in China, start a job, and really put your soul into teaching over here you will find yourself loved and appreciated by the students and the leaders will be almost demanding that you stay at the school indefinitely. In fact in those circumstances as a person of colour you will actually find your skin colour will be an advantage and not a hindrance.

" Taste and see that teaching EFL in China can be GOOD for any teacher, regardless of their skin colour!"

I wish you the best of luck in the future, Stephanie. Don't stop trying, always send a photo, stick to good state schools (there are plenty), if you go private, choose more developed cities, give it your best, and everything will work out fine.

>\-|

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Overcome and Enjoy! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -