TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Native teachers or Native non-teachers - Teachers Discussion
Jason - 2007-08-05

Well, I would have to say this is THE question for teaching here in China.

I have an English degree, a TEFL and 6 months teaching experience but would I call myself a qualified teacher? I don't know. I try very hard but sometimes I am discouraged by the other teachers around me, they have fun and drink at the bars or chase the girls while I can't seem to find enough hours in the day to get it all finished.

To teach in Canada, my home country, I would have to go back to school for at least one more year. I might do so in the future. The problem is, if I could join the Teacher's Union in Canada, I probably wouldn't travel here to China to teach. The pay here in China isn't enough to attract those teachers, I can barely afford to stay here with my student loan bills.

So there it is, the age old question. Qualified teachers vs economics.

I have had great students and I think they deserve the best teaching there is and I always try to give it to them. I have seen some horribly unqualified teachers but the school is happy with them.

What do you do?

I can't answer that question.

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Native teachers or Native non-teachers - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -