TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The Aston "system," as I perceive it - Teachers Discussion
philly freedom - 2007-08-20
In response to It Is Terrible - Teachers Discussion (Randy)

I usually only make posts regardoing schools/orgnaizations with which I have direct experience (and there are PLENTY of those). First, let me say that I have never worked for Aston, but as someone who visits this ESL site and others, Aston has been the focus of numerous discussion threads here, and elesewhere.

I seem to remember when I visited Aston's
"official" website some time back that they have a kind of pyramid system. In other words, teachers who wish to "move up" in the organzation can become manager/recruiters. If this system is still in play, therein lies much of the problem. If recruiting becomes the central focus and financial incentive of those once hired as teachers, then the entire operation is geared toward luring others into situations the teacher once had to endure themselves -- a kind of "pay your dues" scheme. The once-teacher, now-recruiter/manager will put their energy toward convincing others that they need only to teach in unfair conditions (discovered later by teacher, of course) for a brief period (one year or less, perhaps) and then they too, can move into "management" and spend their energy (and earn their income) convincing others to sign up.

Not only does Aston make money from the teacher "training," but perhaps they invest even more in manager "training" -- teaching fresh recruiters various ways to respond to probing questions and redirect possible negative mindsets among newbies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am... If so, this Aston way of doing business is loathsome.

Folks, there's a 1.3 billion and one ways to obtain a teaching job in China (most of which are also not worth having), but you needn't enlist with such gargantuan operations (ESL gristmills) as Aston.

Look elsewhere.

Messages In This Thread
Concerns with Aston (Jinan) - Teachers Discussion -- Ming -- 2007-07-18
Re: Concerns with Aston (Jinan) - Teachers Discussion -- laura -- 2009-04-08
Re: Concerns with Aston (Jinan) - Teachers Discussion -- J -- 2009-04-11
Aston: 1 week training course? - Teachers Discussion -- Ele -- 2007-08-12
Better Than Average - Teachers Discussion *Picture* -- Raoul Duke -- 2007-08-13
It Is Terrible - Teachers Discussion -- Randy -- 2007-08-20
The Aston "system," as I perceive it - Teachers Discussion -- philly freedom -- 2007-08-20
Nooooooooooooooooooo! *Link* *Picture* -- Raoul Duke -- 2007-07-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The Aston "system," as I perceive it - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -