TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Glad to Help - Teachers Discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2007-09-25
In response to Re: Not True! - Teachers Discussion (Sheffield Matthew Kelsie)

Hi Matthew,

Feel welcome in using my post in your class. I actually feel honoured that somebody has found one of my posts worthwhile enough to be used in a debate.

I respect you for having the guts to debate this particular topic so directly in the classroom. I myself haven't had the courage to broach this subject in any of my classes yet. I have, though, used parts of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream," speech in class, but not usually in the specific context of racism. I think it's a great idea, though, and something I may do in the future. I think the fact that it's a classroom activity, and if you stress the importance of honesty, you will probably get a generally honest response to the questions raised.

I agree with your point about women's hatred being generally based on the asshole factor, rather than anything else. I've certainly found that to be the case with British women, and have generally found Chinese women to be no different in that regard. Yes, I'll admit it. My Chinese wife hates me because I'm an asshole. She knew I was black before we wed, but she didn't know I was an asshole, because I hid it well. Unfortunately the truth has since been revealed.

Seriously, though. Please let us know what general responses you get from your students regarding this issue.

"Li BAI!?" Your Chinese name sounds quite ironic. "Bai" doesn't mean what I think it means does it? ;)

Best wishes,

Yingwen

Messages In This Thread
Race issue? - Teachers Discussion -- JAS -- 2007-08-28
Re: Race issue? - Teachers Discussion -- lingujisticus -- 2007-08-30
Re: Race issue? - Teachers Discussion -- JNET -- 2007-08-29
Not True! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-08-29
Re: Not True! - Teachers Discussion -- FYI -- 2007-08-31
Re: Not True! - Teachers Discussion -- JNET -- 2007-09-01
You're so Witty! lol - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-08-31
Re: Not True! - Teachers Discussion -- lbala -- 2007-08-29
Thank you - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-08-30
Re: Race issue? - Teachers Discussion -- Andrew Dewitte -- 2007-08-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Glad to Help - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -