TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Jackson, why do you hate non- native speaking teachers? - Teachers Discussion
WOW - 2007-09-28
In response to Jackson, why do you hate non- native speaking teachers? - Teachers Discussion (Muy Caliente "I AM A NON-NATIVE SPEAKING TEACHER")

Muy Caliente,

Re:
'NNS teachers themselves have learned English as a second language (L2) or foreign language, they understand the needs and experience of ESL students better. As L2 or foreign language learners themselves, they have probably spent a great deal of time and effort trying to master the language. How they learned grammar, how they attempted to expand their vocabulary, and how they overcame the problems they faced during learning are all precious experiences that they can share with students. Their determination to succeed, and the fact that they did succeed, provide an excellent example for ESL students. In fact, NNS teachers themselves are good role models for ESL students. The presence of NNS teachers brings home the message that mastering English as an L2 is an achievable goal. More important, their presence can help dismantle the false dichotomy between NSs and NNSs. Once an ESL student asked me, "How can I write like a NS? After all, what is NS competence?" It is a fuzzy and unreal concept. Unfortunately, an ESL field dominated by NS teachers will only perpetuate the false ideal of NS competence that is so deeply rooted in ESL students.'

I so agree with you here and that is a challenge. Yet, as you pointed out there are many other factors involved in being a good/great teacher.

Your article here is so well presented. I then have to ask, why do you so often make derogatory comments and generalizations about your 'white' counterparts. Note, that you are practicing 'racism in reverse'. It is not productive for the betterment of the world we live in. Show yourself the bigger man and rise above the annoyances of the ignorant.

Remember, 'the body really does function better as a whole, when all the parts work together in cooperation with each other. It becomes less effective when parts are defective. Do not be a defective part.

Food for Thought - take care and have a great day!

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Jackson, why do you hate non- native speaking teachers? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -