TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Help! Teaching at university in China - Teachers Discussion
northwood - 2007-10-10

You would be well advised to avoid the position in Beijing. First, the offered salary is well beneath what you should expect from a reputable university whether it be in Beijing or elsewhere in China. But in terms of Beijing, it's barely enough to provide you with a comfortable living; furthermore, it's hardly enough to justify living in such a harsh environment - terrible pollution, extreme cold in the winter, extreme heat in the summer, sand storms in the spring, ridiculous traffic problems etc. Second, I've heard some pretty negative stuff about the university you mentioned. And third, your qualifications are great and you should therefore not sell yourself cheap. In China there are many "teachers," some of whom have no qualifications whatsoever, that are working for better pay in environments that are far more hospitable than Beijing.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be happy to send you an email with a few recommendations. I'm generally quite satisfied with the university where I teach and, interestingly enough, they, like many other universities here, have a difficult time finding qualified teachers and often must settle for just about anyone that can put together a few sentences in English before stumbling over their own words.

Of course, the problem with most offers you find from public universities is that they offer very little pay compared to private universities and/or colleges. But that is not always the case. Also, don't fall for the old song and dance about the cost of living being so low where you will teach. And then there's the other old saw about how the Chinese professors make so much less - partially true, but doesn't take all things into consideration.

A foreign expert visa will be easy to come by with your qualifications. Usually, you'll be issued a visa that will cover you slightly beyond the duration of your contract.

Good luck, and let me know if you want that email.

Messages In This Thread
Help! Teaching at university in China - Teachers Discussion -- linda -- 2007-10-08
Re: Help! Teaching at university in China - Teachers Discussion -- northwood -- 2007-10-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Help! Teaching at university in China - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -