TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Non-Native Speakers Can Teach English Better - Teachers Discussion
Jenny - 2007-11-06

Thanks for posting! Very interesting your post.
I m living in South Korea right now, and I m a kindergarden teacher,

I m not a native English speaker, but i hold a degree as English teacher for primary, elementary and highschool. My experience is about 5 years teaching kids, adults and teenagers.
however i lived to US I am from Costa Rica, I been taking workshops for teachings English through arts and music here in Korea, but finding a job was quite hard, the main problem my latin american appeareance. During interviews i been told they love my accent, they are amazed about my curriculum and defenetely they can feel i am teacher, but they ask me stupid things such, change my last name, hair color, and lie about my nationality otherwise parents wont agree to have a non american or canadian teacher in their kids classrooms.

in fact there are plenty of web sites called "cute teachers.com" it means only blonde and blue eyes teachers, because i met plenty of american teachers whose parents are from India, o Mexico but born in the US and find dificult to have a descent job here.

Finally i had the oportunity to teach in kindergarten , the children from this kindergarden were taugh by a canadian teacher for about 6 months, it means 6 units needed to be covered at this time, unfortunately i had to go back with this subject because they dont know anything, the teacher was bussines men who didnt know anything of curriculum and teaching techniques.

Many people are coming to Korea without the didactics and knowledge to teach, they just come to make some money and pay their loans, but most of them dont care and dont know about education, a 4 weeks course cant be compared of what a real teacher is being learning and experiencing for more than 4 years.

this is another real and sad fact about Korea, when i was looking for a Spanish teaching job, also i had my obstacles, however i m native spanish speaker many international schools didnt accepted me, in fact i realized that most of the spanish teachers in Korea are americans! americans who speak broken spanish, once i had the oportunity to attend an interview, and the spanish teacher who was leaving the position was a guy from america who interview me in a weird Spanish accent.
My friend who is from Taiwan say that her children are learning Spanish from a american lady who has a basic spanish knowledge

Teaching in Korea is all about appearences.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Non-Native Speakers Can Teach English Better - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -