TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: a few questions - Teachers Discussion
aussiegurl - 2007-11-09

I have to agree with most of what people are saying. I work in china (henan province), thankfully at a college that treats and pays me well but that isn't the norm. It is harder than people may think to get a job here, mainly because it is cheaper for the schools to use Chinese english teachers and the main reason they want us is so they can say, "look!! We have foreigners working for us!!". If you are thinking of teaching in china just be aware that (at least where i am) the pay isn't much, the conditions may be bad (again depending on who you work for) and you could be working anywhere between 12 to 30 hours a week. Contracts are in no way binding and the Chinese have side-stepping down to an art. I have a friend who works 30 hours a week even though her contract says she won't work more than 20 and she can't get out because then they would kick her out and she would have nowhere to stay while looking for another job (which can take weeks).

even though costs in china have gone up over the past three years the schools still refuse to pay foreign teachers anymore than they have been for the past couple of years. If you want to work in china- don't do it for the money!!

Messages In This Thread
Re: a few questions - Teachers Discussion -- aussiegurl -- 2007-11-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: a few questions - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -