TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: a matter of sophistication - Teachers Discussion
Kevin - 2007-11-12

Yes, it would be difficult to assess the actual damage done by unqualified FT's, nor could I begin to imagine how much "damage" was done to me or my peers by so called qualified teachers at home - especially in our more formative years when a good teacher can make all the difference. However, I can easily imagine that they could have done better. So, maybe it's more accurate to ask that question, "Are Chinese students getting as much as they deserve?"

I would have a hard time blaming all learners for their learning deficiencies, but I do agree that Chinese teachers can create some pretty serious problems - especially in the realm of pronunciation. In fact, I'm trying to undo some of those problems right now. Admittedly, progress is slow. But I do see progress.

As for non English majors seldom making it past modest levels, I would submit that this is more of a problem with motivation than anything. That, coupled with little desire to actually communicate in English and cramming only to pass tests, is the main reason for their failure.

What is galling, though, is when English majors have not been provided any information relevant to vocabulary acquisition, and then we teachers turn around and question why they are still stuck with the same frequency words they acquired years before. I would call this a direct result of schools relying on unqualified and/or untrained English teachers - both native and non-native.

Do I believe that students are competent enough to choose their FT's? No, decidedly not; however, I do believe that most university students have or will acquire a degree of sophistication that enables or will enable them to discern a useful teacher from one who is not so useful.

Hopefully, in the future, there will be more native speakers hired to work in the public school system and it won't be necessary to rant against Chinese English teachers who do a poor job at representing the English language. In all fairness though, I've met a few great Chinese teachers who are competent enough to even ask for advice from native speakers. Go figure...

Finally, your suggestion that our students, and I quote, "are mental toddlers that need teaching nannies until the moment they say 'good-bye' to an English-speaking person," only suggests to me that your bitterness has become as all encompassing as that statement. That's unfortunate because I believe you have the qualifications and experience to make a difference here in China if you could only regain a little hope and could see that the time will come when you will be seriously needed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: a matter of sophistication - Teachers Discussion -- Kevin -- 2007-11-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: a matter of sophistication - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -