TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Black Teachers in China: Appearance
thinkingaboutchina - 2007-12-01

Hi all I'm new to this forum and I've been trying to find posts about Black esl teachers in China. From what I've read the opinions on this topic range from harder but not impossible, to damn near impossible to get a job teaching english as black person in china. More specifically I would like to know a few things. For current Black esl teachers in china: how long was your job search and what qualifications did you have (tesol certificate, masters, years of experience ect.) Was it comparably longer than the job search of your white peers with similar qualifications? To speak to the specific topic of this post, do you guys think a black male like myself with dreadlocks would have a harder time finding work? In other words, is there a pecking order among black teachers in china from the perspective of employer i.e does attractive and black trump not so attractive and black, black female trump black male, black male american trump black male south african? Finally if anyone has advice on where to teach in china that would be helpful too. Is it easier for blacks to find a job in a big city like Shanghai or Beijing or smaller cities or more rural areas? I would especially love to hear from anyone with first hand knowledge but of course and advice is welcome!

p.s. I am an American citizen and a native english speaker if that makes a difference.

Messages In This Thread
Black Teachers in China: Appearance -- thinkingaboutchina -- 2007-12-01
Re: Black Teachers in China: Appearance -- Li Bai -- 2007-12-06
No Worries! -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-12-02
Re: No Worries! -- Lugishi -- 2007-12-02
Grammar Experts, Please! -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-12-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Black Teachers in China: Appearance

Go to another board -