TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › NNEST: testimonies wanted!
C. - 2007-12-07

Hi,

I am a non native English speaker yet have the (senseless??) desire to become an English teacher. I am well aware that I will certainly have to face many hardships in finding a job should I decide to pursue this career as a French citizen (I am still fairly confident in my level of English and barely have a French accent as I learned English in the US and now live in NZ).
What makes a "real" teacher (or someone worthy of teaching) seems to be a much-heated topic of discussion on this forum and I have to say it scared me quite a bit! (especially when it comes to NNS) I truly want to be a "good" teacher and am afraid to engage in a profession in which I could do more bad than good.
I am considering taking the CELTA (on top of the Master's Degree in English that I obtained last year) but first of all I need to know what I would be getting myself into! Those are the issues I am most concerned about: potential job opportunities, credibility, the sustainable nature of such job..
So what do you think?? Should I go for it? Or should I stick to teaching French? if there are any of you making a living as a NNEST I would love to read your testimonies and if there is anybody with an insight on my questions I would appreciate it as well!

Thank you for your time

C.

Messages In This Thread
NNEST: testimonies wanted! -- C. -- 2007-12-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › NNEST: testimonies wanted!

Go to another board -