TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Another problematic job offer
wonderhorse - 2007-12-12

Hello, again readers...

As with the recent Perlandas job posting(s), and now this one below, here is an example of a job that appears seemingly decent, but actually is loaded with "extras" that could likely make your working experience a very exhausting and unpleasant one (to say the least).

Let me also add, upfront, that I have never worked for Web (most teachers will advise you to avoid them), and I have no "ax to grind" with them. They merely provided another excellent example of why training school gigs can be traps for unsuspecting and inexperienced foreign teachers in China. Read on...

ESL Teacher Position in Web International English-Suzhou
By:Webi International English-SuZhou Center
Date: 11 December 2007

We urgently require a Full time teacher for our English Centre for adults in Suzhou China.
Suzhou is an ancient clean (for China) and vibrant city less than one hour from Shanghai. It has many world heritage sites and gardens in the city and scenic and historic sites and towns within an hour away.

It has a thriving expat community and a good social life is to be had.

Web International English Suzhou Center, as a leading language training center based in Jiangsu province, China, is now looking for ESL teachers.

Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for teaching oral English classes(4-15students) for 25 hours per week
- Develop teaching material
- Level test
- Organize big education events, parties and ECA (Extra Curricula Activities)

- Salary range is from 7,000 RMB to 8,000 RMB.
- Housing allowance is 1,500RMB per month.

You are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor degree or above
- TESOL / TEFL / CELTA certification preferred
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Available soon

Interested individuals, please e-mail us:
- Detailed resume
- Certificate copies
- Passport copy
- Recent photo

We will contact you for interview as soon as we hear back from you.

The items in RED are ones like "level test" (i.e. prospective customer interviews and oral assesments) are expected to be done during the few precious moments you are not teaching (remember 5 classes a day/5 days a week). Also, I and many experienced teachers will enhance and augment the teaching material, but I will NOT give my preps to the school. The training center will add the new material to the course books they SELL (giving the teacher no part of the sales profit).

Also, the entry about "arranging (and hosting) promotional educational events, parties, etc." is also a big undertaking, and is usually expected to be done during one (or both) of the foreign teacher's "day off." If not, when else could you host parties and promotional events ??? During your work days you are giving 5 classes a day, plus more...

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Another problematic job offer

Go to another board -