TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Change, and What it Takes
Yingwen Laoshi - 2007-12-20
In response to Re: Why Should "Bozo" Care? (Kevin)

Good post, Kevin. I wish there were more teachers like you in China.

Let me make it clear that I wasn't defending teachers who consistently do things such as turning up for class drunk, or not turning up for class at all, because they're drunk or have a slight sniffle. Nor was I defending those who have a generally unprofessional attitude, and don't turn up for class when they feel like it, and don't make any effort to give a good class, particularly when they've been told to actually teach. Those people are open to criticism.

I was defending those who have been tempted over here with promises of the good life, and have been specifically told that they don't need to, or even should not, teach. Instead they're told to play the clown and entertain. If they turn up for class every week on time, sober, and do their job as "Bozo", conscientiously, even while making no attempt to teach every week, I don't think much blame should be placed on them, if their employer, and most of the parents and students are happy and satisfied. They're only following orders (Yes I know the Gestapo said the same, but they were killing people), and if your employer says you're qualified and those in power say nothing, then you're qualified. Of course if we look at the bigger picture even those "bozos" are part of the problem, because they are still helping to make the profession of EFL teaching in China a joke, and are contributing to the decline of teaching standards in China.

Yet, it would be understandable if they only saw the smaller picture, noticing that everybody around them, including their employers, their students and the students' parents were for the most part happy. They probably wouldn't think they were part of the problem then, because to them there would be NO problem, because they would be fulfilling what was expected of them. Of course if there is no problem then no solution is needed.

If the government, both nationally and locally, are taking steps to make positive reform as regards EFL teaching in China then that is a good thing. Change has to come from the top. By blaming the FTs who are conscientiously fulfilling their roles as bozo, attention is being diverted away from those really responsible for the quagmire called EFL. Let the clowns continue teaching until those in power in China, or the students and their parents, realize something needs changing. Often it's not until clear symptons are apparent that people start looking at the root cause of something.

I would never accept a job at a school that was only interested in clowning, and I don't want to play the role of "bozo" anywhere. I understand, however, why some are willing to do so. It's up to the real movers and shakers in this country to demand that they want real teachers and real teaching, and to stop demanding and inviting circus entertainers to China.

I agree with most of what you say, Kevin. Your points are good. I care about those who care in this country and that includes my students. For the sake of those, and my wife and her family, I hope this country will make the positive changes it needs to make, to help it's genuine people prosper.

I like the quotes you use at the end of your posts. Very inspiring.

Messages In This Thread
for what it's worth -- Kevin -- 2007-12-06
Why Should "Bozo" Care? -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-12-15
Re: Why Should "Bozo" Care? -- Kevin -- 2007-12-16
Change, and What it Takes -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-12-20
Re: Change, and What it Takes -- Kevin -- 2007-12-20
Re: for what it's worth -- extefler -- 2007-12-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Change, and What it Takes

Go to another board -