TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?
Geoffrey - 2008-01-22

Just an input: My colleague used to work in an international school here in China, and yes its true, white skinned people (not even native speakers or claims to be one)were only used by the school as a front to the parents but most of the workloads were given to the Filipnos.

If you haven't been or lived in the Philippines for at least 5 years you wouldnt understand how the system works in the country. hahahah. so facts and figures are and were based on the news, hearsays and stories.

Admittedly, many schools in the Philippines does not have any good educational system but there are also some with high standards. May it be low or high in standards, the medium of instructions are basically in English. International information are given to the students.

In some aspects the educational system may not be at par with the universities in other countries, but Filipinos are highly exposed to the English language. Check the newspapers, magazines, TV news, Traffic directions, Government instructions, court hearings, music, etc. etc. etc., ride a cab easy for you to find your way to mc donalds...

If you have close encounters with Filipinos (especially the genuine well bred, highly educated Filipinos), you'll be surprised that most are exposed to international manners, politeness, hardworking and adaptable to their environment.

A close friend and a classmate in UT who happens to be half Filipino half Hungarian once told me that in Hungary 90% (correct me if I am wrong) of the medium of instructions used in Hungary is Hungarian.....I met a Hungarian just a few weeks ago and admitted that, that fact is true. He is presently a teacher in Beijing and the funny thing is that during the course of our time together he would often ask me english words and terms that he cannot express.

Yes, Most Chinese prefers "WHITE SKINNED" its a fact, but workwise many still prefer Filipnos because of their hardwork, enthusiasm, friendliness, and not into racism and ostracism. Filipinos may not have the British accent but they are capable to teach. I myself can attest to that because I am presntly the Principal of the Foreign Instructors Department in a well known school here in Shanghai for 5 years in a row.

I have nothing against white skinned or native speakers for I myself have cousins and relatives who happens to be Americans, French, Germans and Polish. It's the 21st century people! anybody can rule, can be rich, can be a failure or succesful. Anything is possible these days....

NO MAN HAS THE RIGHT TO JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE..."ALL HAVE COME SHORT IN THE GLORY OF GOD"...STOP BEING RACIST OR OSTRACIST. WE ARE ALL EDUCATORS, TEACHERS, PROFESSORS...LETS STOP FUSSING ABOUT THIS THINGS AND JUST DO OUR JOB AS A TEACHER, BE PROFESSIONAL. LET US HELP PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY DEVELOP THEIR ENGLISH SPEAKING SKILLS...UNLESS YOU ONLY CARE FOR WHAT YOU WILL EARN ....THAT IS ANOTHER STORY. I REST MY CASE

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Edward. -- 2008-01-21
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- callmefred -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Jeffery -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Geoffrey -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- bartonfink -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Barbara -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- bartonfink -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Geoffrey -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- fritz -- 2008-02-13
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Wendyyahoo.ca -- 2008-02-13
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- closure -- 2008-01-23
You can not be serious! -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Geoffrey -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Just wanna share something -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- bartonfink -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- dual -- 2008-02-03
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- extefler -- 2008-01-26
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- bartonfink -- 2008-01-27
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Riversaint -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (Bartofink) -- John -- 2008-01-25
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- noypilurker -- 2008-01-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?

Go to another board -