TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?
indigoguy - 2008-01-27

I am an American-born Filipino and I'd like to share my opinion on this.

To SOME, and let me say again, SOME of the Filipino teachers on here:
I know we are all proud of our country, we are very passionate about our work, but your grammar isn't doing us any justice! If we are going to post and brag about the skills of Filipino ESL teachers, might as well do it right and clean up your grammar! Even though this isn't "formal writing", you must at least show the others that you have a good command of the English language! Now I'm not bragging about my English, but damn, some of you guys got your tenses all mixed up. You even made mistakes on your Subject-Verb agreement, that's so elementary! I can see where the other teachers are coming from when they talk about your mistakes. Yes, we all make mistakes, but being an English teacher you guys shouldn't have committed such trivial grammatical errors. I am ashamed at what you guys put on here, saying you represent Filipinos! No way!

To the other non-Filipino ESL teachers on here:
After reading their posts, you must be thinking that MOST Filipino ESL teachers are like this. Now I am a Filipino ESL teacher myself, but I'm not afraid to admit that we too have weaknesses. You've noticed the grammar already, so let's talk about Pronunciation. It's true we don't say "dree" instead of "three", it's more like "tree" for some teachers. ;)

But those are SOME cases, to generalize Filipino ESL teachers into that category would just be WRONG! There are A LOT of good Filipino teachers working here. If we have weaknesses, we also have strengths. Our educational system, made by the Americans, is taught using English (except for Filipino of course). We use the alphabet for reading and writing, not Hanggul, Hiragana or Katakana or anything like that, we use the alphabet, so it's no problem for us reading and writing in English. If I shared to you guys the strengths of Filipino teachers, there wouldn't be enough space. All I'm saying is, don't judge us (Filipinos) based on the writings of these so-called "English teachers" who are just too proud to admit their mistakes.

And lastly, to Geofrey or however you spell your name. How dare you say you represent Filipino teachers! I am appalled by your behavior! He says he hates racism and then brags about his position that he is ABOVE all white teachers. He's quick to criticize other races but at the same time is quick to defend his. How hypocritical! You have no right to defend Filipino teachers, I won't let you with your kind of behavior (and those little grammatical errors you keep making)! English principal my a**!

The bottom line, and this has been said before, let's judge a teacher by the teacher's skill and passion.

May English strive on to be the international language! Because if the Chinese language takes over, then we'd all lose our jobs.

LONG LIVE THE PHILIPPINES!

Messages In This Thread
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- bartonfink -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Jeffery -- 2008-01-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Grammarcus -- 2008-02-04
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- JNET -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Jeffery -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- viva -- 2008-02-12
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- JNET -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-25
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- Gate -- 2008-01-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- r_sphynx -- 2008-01-25
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-25
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- indigoguy -- 2008-01-27
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- JNET -- 2008-01-28
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- callmefred -- 2008-01-28
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- pinayinchina -- 2008-01-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? -- callmefred -- 2008-01-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers?

Go to another board -