TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus)
viva - 2008-02-24

callmefred:

"you are conned because you haven't"

by "haven't" i don't know HOW MUCH you mean by that,i won't argue with y
about that anyway,not my cup of tea.

as to your caliber of being a teacher, i won't argue with that also... it's you opinion about yourself... i just hope your students SPEAK about it.

as to my caliber...MY STUDENTS ARE SPEAKING ABOUT IT.

as to the REFUND... sorry to tell you but nobody ever demanded one, on the contrary, they keep on paying more... and parents keep on insisting for me to take their children in( that's in my training center) and the university REQUESTED me to teach there as long as
i'm in China.

You are surprised? Not me. As I have told you in all my missives here... i'm confident about my ablilities and it takes more to be an effective teacher than a perfect english and i'm sure i have the better qualities...the students know who is the better teacher.

you have said that your students loves to learn under a capable teacher.
There I AGREE with you. But who do you think is a CAPABLE teacher?

I won't believe you if you will tell me that never once did a student come to you pouring his heart over his difficulties in learning, not because he is DUMB but because of his being Chinese. What did you do?

The greater part of our job as an ESL teacher...i repeat ESL(it means the students learn a language other than theirs) is to MOTIVATE the students to learn that second language. Since my stay in China, I have
taught ALL levels of students (i wonder if you had) as a
result of this vast experience I conclude that most of them hate the language and are only forced to learn it for the reasons that i have said in my other post. The attitudes of students towards the language varies as they grow older. I presume that you are teaching primary students... there you would note that the students seem to love learning it...but take it from...and i'm sure of this...once these students step to college, their attitude changes...english becomes a BURDEN to most of them...this is where your EXPERTISE as an ESL teacher comes into play...not your expertise in the language itself.

and have you heard of "SIMPLIFYING YOUR SPEECH"? okey, this is what we call the "foreigner talk", a simplified register or style of speech. All the NS here had been bragging about their PERFECT english and had been flaunting "BIG" words in their missives... well....it doesn't work in the clssroom though. because in the classroom you have to simplify the language to your estimate of the students level of comprehension. You always should try to make the language comprehensible to the students...failing to do so will cause anxiety or frustration to the students and eventually they would lose their interest.

i'm citing this because of your constant criticisms about us NNS FTs who you think are way below your standard. I agree that you are much better in SPEAKING than us (that's expected of you), but again, it doesn't necessarily follow that you are much better in TEACHING than us.

We do TALK in the classroom just like NS FTs do, but there should always ne a function that our TALK serve. It should be PRODUCTIVE, because of this, when we are inside the classroom, we see to it that our lessons are well prepared, as perfect as possible(we have reference books hahahah), we are careful of everything that comes out of our mouth and what comes out of the mouths of the students. I WISH the NS FTs were also aware of this. We have just fired an NS FT... why? because he can speak english VERY WELL, he was never aware of what are COMING OUT OF HIS MOUTH (you know what these are)...and this is one of the big disappointments about many NS.

I could give you a lecture on "HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE ESL TEACHER", i've just finished giving a 10-day lecture to my colleagues here, but i'm sure you won't learn from me... why? YOU ARE HIGH STRUNG...one negative attitude of many NS...you always think you are the best because you are NSs.
but this i may say, "NOT ALL THE TIME"

i also stand corrected on imperfections on spellings, grammar etc etc... i leave these for you to correct hahahaha..i haven't so much time to proofread.

only forc

Messages In This Thread
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-12
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- callmefred -- 2008-02-13
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-21
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- callmefred -- 2008-02-22
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- callmefred -- 2008-02-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- callmefred -- 2008-02-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- callmefred -- 2008-02-24
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- callmefred -- 2008-02-23
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- viva -- 2008-02-13
Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus) -- JNET -- 2008-02-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers teach English better than Chinese English teachers? (linguisticus)

Go to another board -