TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Board Game for ESL/EFL
Linger On - 2008-04-12
In response to Board Game for ESL/EFL (Jazzy)

There's a baord game I know you can buy in Thailand called Word Up. Students roll the dice and go around a baord a little like Trivial Pursuit, and depending on what colour they land on have a different question about English. Blue is for multiple choice questions, yellow is for spelling, orange is for crossword clues, and green is for missing word in a sentence. If players get the question right they win a token of that category's colour. There's a beginner level, and a more advanced one with about 90 question cards in each set. THe question cards are numbered and increasingly become more difficult. I've only seen it for sale in Thailand, however a Canadian teacher I worked with said they had the game in Canada. I'm sure you can buy it online, I'm sorry but I can't remember which company produces the game.

Other baord games good for an ESL class are twister (for body parts and colours), guess who? (for describing people), and scrabble (for spelling and vocabulary).
I've seen a few bingo games, such as homonyms bingo, prepositons bingo and alphabet bingo. If you put a Sunday afternoon aside you can make Bingo games yourself easily, especially if you have net access and a good colour printer. It sucks but they're a handy resource to have and will make your life easier in the future.

The trick to having these games is to not over use them, or else the kids will get bored of them faster than you can pick up all the game pieces that they've been throwing at each other. I always act like I don't want the kids to play them, that way they think you're doing them a favour ;)

Messages In This Thread
Board Game for ESL/EFL -- Jazzy -- 2008-04-11
Re: Board Game for ESL/EFL -- Linger On -- 2008-04-12
Re: Board Game for ESL/EFL -- Worthington -- 2008-04-14
Re: Board Game for ESL/EFL -- Linger On -- 2008-04-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Board Game for ESL/EFL

Go to another board -