TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why do we need laowai teacher
riddlemethis - 2008-05-10
In response to Re: Why do we need laowai teacher (Wang Honglau)

"It's not a matter of what is true that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true." --Henry Kissinger

While I would agree with you that many Western speakers of English are guilty of slowly eroding its elegance - one need look no further than these forums to find the "truth" of that - I would argue that your perception is not far seeing and therefore limited. There will always be those, perhaps a minority ( I have no data to suggest otherwise), whose interest in and excellent use of the language will negate the truth of your all encompassing statement.

"Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set." --Rev. Denny Brake

I'm not sure how one could come to such a "truth." Again, perception seems to enter into that awareness, but facts, if they could be found, would no doubt refute it. Let's not forget that it was once perceived that African Americans were dull and ignorant; George Washington Carver died young as the result of not being taken to the nearest hospital when needing immediate attention after a car accident. A victim of a perception that Blacks of that time were undeserving of the same attention as Whites.

"When in doubt, tell the truth." --Mark Twain

Exactly which Americans are you referring to that you differentiate from Europeans or other Westerners? Are you suggesting, for example, that Asian Americans are not actually Americans? "Especially Americans," you say. Do you mean Americans that come to China? I'm an American in China - 154 pounds, 5' 11" - is that fat? I may be homely in your eyes; beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder, but again we're talking about perception. The last data I came across regarding obesity in the West was that Europeans and Americans pretty much matched up at around 63 percent falling into the category of overweight, and I've seen quite a few fat Brits waddling around this campus. Mr. Twain had it right.

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." --Unknown

"To be ignorant of ones ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Bronson Alcott

"There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance."-- Goethe

Granted, some Westerners arrogantly believe in their superiority in all things. However, shouldn't we be talking about communicability? As a Phonetics teacher, a great deal of my work consists of correcting habitually incorrect English. Where were those habits formed? In English classes taught by Chinese teachers. But I often tell my students that, while these habits are not their fault - having picked them up from their past teachers - said habits are not the fault of their past Chinese teachers either; they simply were not taught correctly by their teachers and so on. In other words the "blame game" has no constructive purpose. None of this, though, would really matter if their speech was intelligible; but, unfortunately it generally is not until they have learned the intricacies of stress, intonation and the rhythm of the language coupled with correct pronunciation. In the future, when enough Chinese have learned these things it will reduce the need to hire Western teachers. I look forward to that time perhaps as much as you do.

"The thought that provokes thought is much more valuable than the thought that is only an echo of an accepted truth." - Thomas W. Hanford

Perhaps China is a paradise that attracts Western fools. I've seen plenty of them. I've also seen many who are not fools. So, although, your statement regarding Western fools is a rather sweeping generality, along with all your other so called "truths," I do applaud your need to provoke thought. I'm not sure why you would choose to do so under the guise of a Chinese student or teacher though - it seems a bit disingenuous.

Messages In This Thread
China: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Lili -- 2008-05-06
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Fikester -- 2008-06-18
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- yingyu laoshi -- 2008-05-27
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Li Bai -- 2008-05-12
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- jim -- 2008-05-11
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Pylin -- 2008-05-10
we do need laowai teachers -- Al -- 2008-05-09
Re: we do need laowai teachers -- Fikester -- 2008-06-18
Re: we do need laowai teachers -- eslguy -- 2008-05-11
Re: we do need laowai teachers -- Fikester -- 2008-06-18
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Wang Honglau -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Jane Martina -- 2008-05-10
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- riddlemethis -- 2008-05-10
Nice One, Wang Honglau! -- Yinwen Laoshi -- 2008-05-09
Re: Nice One, Wang Honglau! -- Gingermeggs -- 2008-05-10
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher/Wang Hanglou -- handsomearticulateslimenergeticintelligentamerican -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher/Wang Hanglou -- Wang Honglau -- 2008-05-09
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- funfun -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Wang Honglau -- 2008-05-09
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Michael -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- j peasemold gruntfuttock -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- HongErWai -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Mike -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Mike -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- funfun -- 2008-05-07
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher - gotcha -- riddlemethis -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher - gotcha -- Jane Martina -- 2008-05-10
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher - gotcha -- funfun -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher - gotcha -- riddlemethis -- 2008-05-08
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- spider -- 2008-05-07
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Wang Honglau -- 2008-05-09
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Longdong -- 2008-05-06
Re: Why do we need laowai teacher -- Gingermeggs -- 2008-05-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why do we need laowai teacher

Go to another board -