TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I need educating. Please help
yorkshirewhippetmogul - 2008-05-17

Hello to all.

I hope one or two of you can find the time to answer a couple of questions i have on the subject of visa's and, well, working in China as an English teacher.
I'm from England and am dead set on gaining a qualification which would allow me to teach abroad, but have yet to decide on the best way to attain said certificate.
My Brother teaches in Tokyo, having taken an 100 hour TEFL course. As far as i'm aware, this, along with a University degree, entitled him to a working visa, enabling him to gain employment in Japan.
Now i've caught the bug and desperately want to do as he and you all are doing and teach English somewhere a little more exotic than East Yorkshire.
However, to my Brother who worked hard, got his head down and studied at College and University, i am the one who used to smoke weed and drive a Fork Lift Truck, and was generally a little shit who didn't bother studying beyond School.
I've been looking into the options available to TEFL cert holders with no university background/degree to work abroad but i get mixed opinions from nearly every website i've visited.
I'm therefore hoping to receive some info about how it works in China, as this is somewhere i'd give my right arm to work and live.
Is it possible to obtain a visa to work for 1 year given my situation? (no degree)
Also, would any of you recommend China as a first time teaching position?

Sorry for being long winded, but i'd very much appreciate any replies.
Thanks, Chris.

Messages In This Thread
I need educating. Please help -- yorkshirewhippetmogul -- 2008-05-17
There's a bunch of foreigners w/o degrees teaching english -- peer -- 2008-05-18
Re: I need educating. Please help -- Jerome -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- yorkshirewhippet -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- Roger -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- chris -- 2008-05-18
Re: I need educating. Please help -- str -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- Joe -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- lin fu -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- Gong He -- 2008-05-18
Re: I need educating. Please help -- Jerome -- 2008-05-17
Re: I need educating. Please help -- cider fairy -- 2008-05-25
Re: I need educating. Please help -- angelina -- 2008-06-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I need educating. Please help