TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Pronounciation - Why don't teachers correct black kids when the pronounce words wrong?
James McAllister - 2008-05-22

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I can't agree with you fully. And, as a phonetics teacher, I don't say this lightly. I think it's unfortunate that the quality of education in America is such that not all children have the opportunity to be taught correctly. Habitually incorrect speech patterns are handed down from students to pupils, and, of course, from parents to their children; however, it will take a few more generations before we can expect the errors that you mentioned to fall by the wayside.
Now, on another note, the same can be said about writing skills. The college from which I graduated, a well known Liberal Arts College, has a drop out rate of 25% in the first year due to the fact that Freshmen students are not properly prepared in high school to meet the writing demands of college. I would go so far as to posit that exceptional or even adequate writers are in shorter supply than effective speakers. For example, though you seem quite capable of expressing yourself, it must be noted that you have misspelled pronunciation - the very thing that your post is about. A very common error, but rather ironic don't you think? However, my point is that most educators are overwhelmed by the broader task of teaching "adequacy" versus excellence. Excellence is closely tied to motivation of the learner. Environmental factors, such as parental guidance and encouragement, play an important role as well.

So, I think your argument, though interesting, is too narrowly confined to certain speech affectations rather than the broader question of inadequate education at the primary and secondary levels.

Note: To pronounce is the infinitive. Pronunciation is the noun that you should have used. Moreover, you need to educate yourself in the proper use of punctuation - especially where conditional clauses are used. There are some excellent websites that you could consult, such as http://owl.english.purdue.edu/. Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Pronounciation - Why don't teachers correct black kids when the pronounce words wrong? -- shirley boorsma -- 2008-05-20
Look Who's Talking! -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-05-23
Re: Pronounciation - Why don't teachers correct black kids when the pronounce words wrong? -- James McAllister -- 2008-05-22
CorrectionRe: Pronounciation - Why don't teachers correct black kids when the pronounce words wrong? -- James McAllister -- 2008-05-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Pronounciation - Why don't teachers correct black kids when the pronounce words wrong?

Go to another board -