TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Relevance Turnoi
James McAllister - 2008-06-09

First, I'm not surprised that being a linguistically challenged toddler prevents you from grasping the significance of the post to which you are alluding. Nor am I surprised that you try to belittle those who have a far better hold on reality than you; however, I'm surprised that you make so blatantly evident the fact that your age, immaturity and absence of intellectual curiosity steers you away from any attempt to at least try to grasp its significance. Were I so inclined, I would point you in the right direction, but I fear that such an inclination on my part would only meet with confusion on your part. Or perhaps, having met in the past a mental obstacle that you could not overcome, you find that simply burying your head in the sand is preferable to a challenge that would cause you to revisit that uncomfortable memory. But laying my inclinations or your own aside for a moment, I don't mind advising you that there is much to be learned by heeding the words of your elders. Often, limitations, be they physical or mental, are only self imposed and do not necessarily represent our true capabilities. Take your foot off the brake, young man. Someday, you may be glad that you did.

Well, since you seem to appreciate Chinese culture, at least to the degree that you have, as you claim, mastered Mandarin, perhaps you will find the following to your liking:

Yăn ěr do lng
【掩 耳 盗 铃】
Stuffing His Ears for the Purpose of Stealing a Bell
Once upon a time, a thief stole a bell and tried to carry it away on his back. But the bell was too big and heavy. So, he decided to break it into pieces with a hammer to make it easier to carry. When he hit the bell, it made a loud noise. Afraid that someone might hear him breaking the bell, and try to steal it from him, he decided to plug his ears. If he couldn't hear anything, nobody else could either. A decision as foolish as this is sometimes compared with burying one's head in the sand.

Now, I must ask you - just can't let it slide on by - how is it that you could write the following sentence without realizing how nonsensical it is?
You wrote: "USMC, FISH, whatever the hell his name is, beleives that he is a self-proclaimed expert on China, and that the Chinese can do no wrong."
Either one believes something, or he a self-proclaimed expert at it. Which is it? Can one actually believe that they are a self-proclaimed expert? Proclamation and belief - perhaps you should study how these words are properly used. One can only hope that you confine yourself to teaching Oral English; however, if it were up to me, you wouldn't have the opportunity to teach anything in China, except perhaps Nail Pounding 101. I'd love to read your CV, young man.

As for my own qualifications; I managed to graduate from junior high school. And I think that places me one step higher on the educational ladder than you - or so it would seem. No, just kidding. Actually my Doctoral thesis, recently finished, was on The Recognition of Pretense and its Detrimental Influence on English Education in China. Case studies, an important part of my thesis, included excerpts from writings by pretend teachers in this and other forums and the testimonials of students who are quite fed up with being taught by under qualified teachers such as yourself.

In regards to Kenneth J. Hsu who raised the question cited by UCMC, a poster in this forum who's impatience with posters such as yourself rivals my own, please read the following and try to accept that Mr. Hsu does not pose this question lightly. He is a highly respected member of the scientific community; moreover, he is not only respected worldwide but is also acknowledged as having made many important contributions in science. In addition, his curiosity has no limitations - unlike your own which has unfortunately been somewhat stifled by that ten penny nail. Also, try to realize that his question is one of extreme relevance, not only in terms of linguistic studies but also in terms of culture studies. Whether approached from a position of linguistic curiosity or from a consideration of the sociological consequences of language evolution, it is a question that some of us find very, very interesting.

"...... perhaps equally important has been his successive immersion in three widely disparate cultures: Chinese, American and European- each with its own philosophical world view, educational system, framework of personal and professional relationships and hierarchies, all separated by linguistic gulfs.

- S. Schlanger, An Appreciation of K.J. Hsu on his 60th Birthday, 1989

Messages In This Thread
Re: Relevance Turnoi -- James McAllister -- 2008-06-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Relevance Turnoi

Go to another board -