TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Buck it all - Teachers Discussion
jersey - 2008-06-18

It would be nice to live in a world which was a lot better than the one we have at the moment without some fear that some scary person in power would blow it back to God (or whoever runs the show, whatever people believe). Yet we don't and I get sick and tired of some people who bash China with such silly fabrications and I wonder if it has anything to do with the Olympics. I recall seeing the Chinese ss that I taught getting really excited about their country hosting the Olympics and demonstrating to the world what China has to offer. Maybe some people bash China because it could be the new world's superpower and it might be out of fear or whatever.

However some of the Chinese are racist especially towards the Japanese, which was apparent in the classroom from children as young as eleven and that concerns me. One shouldn't project ones hostility onto ones children as how do you know unless you've been there, done that?

Unfortunately unfair treatment and EFL appear to go hand in hand these days. My boss in China paid for my flights to and from the UK. Plus I was given an apartment with all the mod coms, computer with internet access, DVD player and many other things. The Chinese were so hospitable to me and allowed me to eat with their family, so I had a pretty good deal. I did recieve some hostility from a few Chinese English teachers, but in fairness they probably thought I was stealing their jobs. I was treated a lot better in China than I was in Sicily, so it's swings and roundabouts in EFL.

Let's see some posts about people's experiences in China and other countries, good and bad without making sweeping statements and so forth. Thankxxx.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Buck it all - Teachers Discussion -- jersey -- 2008-06-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Buck it all - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -