TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: English First demand over 9000 RMB from me or they will call police - they won
callmefred - 2008-06-29
In response to Re: English First demand over 9000 RMB from me or they will call police - they won (Crazy Girl ( to work in China for English First!!))

"Does anyone actually work for a good school in China?" asks Crazy Girl.

The answer to that question is a definite YES. I am a member of the faculty at a 'top ten university' here in China. There are only a few foreign teachers here but we are treated with utmost respect, paid above average salaries for a 12hour per week lecture schedule, (including all paid holidays) provided with everything we ask for in our very comfortable modern apartments as well as a host of other 'perks' (free travel passes, use of car and driver whenever wanted etc.) therefore I and the rest of the team here are happy to sign new contracts year after year.

We have a super FAO who cannot do enough for us and often asks our advice on matters about which the university management is uncertain, and they value our input. The students here do not graduate with any type of qualification unless they earn it, unlike the Mickey Mouse diplomas handed out by some so called education establishments.

In contrast, I previously I taught at a university in Changchun but stayed only for a short period of time owing to the living conditions and workload about which I had been misinformed, so I have seen both sides of the coin.

There are very good institutions in the government run sector, however 99% of private schools and colleges exist, as been said many times, purely for profit. I would urge you not to work for any establishment that has private owners or are a franchise of the EF/Wall St./Shane English type (there are many others with a similar modus operandi), but if they are all that your qualifications will allow, it may be the price you pay for being in China which, despite its multitude of faults is still a good place to spend one's time and effort promoting the English language to students who on the whole are keen to learn, and not spend their university time guzzling beer and partying, then expect to pass their finals, which I found to be the case when teaching in the US tertiary sector.

Good luck in your future teaching jobs but again, avoid the chain and private schools, I am told that Kindergartens are the worst.

Messages In This Thread
Re: English First demand over 9000 RMB from me or they will call police - they won -- Crazy Girl ( to work in China for English First!!) -- 2008-06-29
Re: English First demand over 9000 RMB from me or they will call police - they won -- callmefred -- 2008-06-29
Re: English First demand over 9000 RMB from me or they will call police - they won -- Crazy Girl ( to work in China for English First!!) -- 2008-06-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: English First demand over 9000 RMB from me or they will call police - they won

Go to another board -