TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Ben - 2008-07-11
In response to Re: Help! (ANET)

I agree...the Koreans I have met have been very gracious...and as I said before I think that is the ONE plus to me being here. I have met a few people from Skype and they have been so nice...showing me around, going out to eat, etc. That is the thing I do like and one of the reasons I feel so guilty for not really liking being here.
Maybe it just takes time...but I just feel like I am NOT a teacher, I am NOT cut out to babysit for a year, and if I would have known it would be so stressful, I probably would not have signed up to do this. I think just the idea of coming here and doing this sounded fun. I pretty much just look forward to after work and the weekends...

I appreciate the chance to even post how I feel...I don't mean to be a negative baby about stuff...and I know there are a lot of great things that come from being abroad and teaching English, so I am not totally negative about this. I miss my state a LOT and I just keep thinking about all the fun I am missing with my friends back home...maybe I should stop thinking about home so much. Maybe I am not prepared enough for class...but I feel like I have NO IDEA what to really teach the kids. We have books and stuff...but like I said before I am in a beginner class and some of the kids seem like they should be a little higher up, and then some of them don't even know their A,B,Cs...so there is that to try and figure out too. Some of the kids seem bored by the lessons and I don't know if I just suck as a teacher, I don't know if they are bored because they already know it, or I don't know if they are bored because they have just had a long day/week and they are ready to go play with their friends...I can totally understand why they would.
I guess that is one huge source of frustration for me...I have no clue what I am doing and as I said before, all the other teachers (even though they are all really cool) have been here for a long time, and most of them teach is totally different circumstances than I do, so it is hard to really offer any good ideas.

Thanks so much for the few replies I have received and I just hope I can actually fulfill my contract, but I really have my doubts! :(

Ben

Messages In This Thread
Help! -- Ben -- 2008-07-08
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- ANET -- 2008-07-09
Re: Help! -- Ben -- 2008-07-10
Re: Help! -- ANET -- 2008-07-10
Re: Help! -- Ben -- 2008-07-11
Re: Help! -- Paige Russell -- 2008-07-15
Re: Help! -- Ben -- 2008-07-15
Re: Help! -- Paige Russell -- 2008-07-15

Go to another board -