TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Let me finish that sentence......
whocares - 2008-07-12

"Well, yes, there has been a frenzy for English learning in China; unfortunately, that demand has created a situation where pretend teachers are the rule rather than the exception. Therefore, the product sold does not equal the quality of the product offered. You know how it is. Any Tom, Dick, Harry or Jane can get a job teaching English in China. Meanwhile, the administrators of the schools, are well aware that Chinese teachers of English can often do just as good of a job, if not better, but hey, putting that native speaker in front of the class, usually a white face, generates more profit. How can they pass that up? What's more, China being an exam oriented culture, students have learned that x amount of cramming will enable them to pass the IELTS or the TOEFL and they show up on our shores unable to communicate even in the most rudimentary conversations. Meanwhile, we reap the profits and the schools there reap the profits. The money flows. That's what it's all about, right? Keepin' the money flowin'? Okay, here they are; just don't let them know that we know the deal. Don't worry, you'll get your cut too. Take a look down there at those stupid old rattle traps we're driving. Now imagine yourself behind the wheel of a beautiful Porsche. Yeah, we'll be stylin'?"

Messages In This Thread
Re: NEWBIES BEWARE! Pack of pitbulls, snakes in the grass -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-11
Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-13
The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- riddlemethis -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Let me finish that sentence......

Go to another board -