TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Off to China for first time- HELP!
Songbird - 2004-10-26

Hi all,

Okay, I'm exaggerating, I don't really need help with anything in particular. But I'm off to China for my very first ESL teaching experience and am a little anxious. I've done a ton of reading, both books and websites (including reading pretty much every message here!)- has anyone got any further ideas for preparation? I'll admit I don't speak a single word of Mandarin and feel pointless reading the guides because of pronounciation (I think it would be better to listen to someone).

I'm also nervous about the whole culture shock thing. I *know* I will go through this eventually, I'd be kidding myself otherwise. I read Paul's great article on this forum which helped a little. I am a very independent person who has even lived on my own in a caravan for 4 years and love trying new things and not really concerned what others think (but will only do things if I feel are right/ morally right), so I feel that this shouldn't be too much of an issue. I think I will just be screaming out for a decent conversation in English with someone once in awhile there!

Has anyone got any suggestions that might make the move or life there easier? And what do they eat for breakfast......(!?)

Songbird

Messages In This Thread
Off to China for first time- HELP! -- Songbird -- 2004-10-26
Prep to teach. -- Stella -- 2004-10-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Off to China for first time- HELP!

Go to another board -