TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The "Serpico" Syndrome
Yingwen Laoshi - 2008-07-15
In response to Re: Let me finish that sentence...... (whocares)

Hi, "Riddlemethis". I prefer to use one of your other pseudonyms if that's ok. "Whocares" sounds a bit too awkward. Anyway, it's good to hear from you personally. I always get something positive from your posts. Your latest one was particularly stimulating and encouraging. Thanks for the positive sentiments.

You're correct. I think we agree on most things except the question of the degree of blame that should be attached to foreign teachers as regards the predicament of EFL teaching in China. I was suprised to find that you thought of me as more balanced than yourself. I actually believe it's the other way around. I find that you are much more patient and understanding of the education system in China, and you consider the environmental effects a lot more, while I am much more scathing of those in charge of education here. I guess I've always hated bullys, and cheats who abuse their positions and exploit those who they have been intrusted with helping. I believe that the leaders of Chinese education are much more guilty of this than some of our fellow FTs are. At the risk of being accused of flogging a dead horse, allow me to explain why I believe this.

By far, the greater percentage of English teaching in China is NOT carried out by foreign teachers (FTs), but by local Chinese teachers. You mentioned a student who missed some Chinese teachers (CTs) of English who made his learning enjoyable. I don't deny that there are excellent, creative, and imaginative CTs out there, but they are often drowned in a sea of burnt-out teachers who usually, because of the difficult conditions that they teach under, are not able to fulfill their promise. I think that it can't be argued that CTs are generally overworked and burdened with too many extra duties that take away from them being able to produce good, stimulating lessons that would be of real benefit to their students. Yes, there are a lot of FTs in the private sector who couldn't give a rat's backside about their students, but even most of these are only taking their cue from the ruthless, cut-throat leaders of the schools that they work for. Those leaders often care about nothing but lining their own pockets. By far most of the FTs that I have met in the public schools that I have worked in over the last five years, have been serious, committed, and hard-working people who have tried their best to help their students. What I've noticed in China is that many foreign teachers take their cue from their employer, albeit, to often differing degrees. Surely the leaders of schools in China should be setting a good example. Unfortunately, that good example is often markedly absent.

There are four fundamental problems that I believe are causing Chinese students to often miss the mark by a mile when it comes to really acquiring the language of English in the sense of them being able to use it as a proper means of communication.

1. There is way too much emphasis on passing exams.

In fact Chinese students always seem to be preparing for one exam or another. They seem to have too many exams to deal with. From their early childhood, the vast majority of Chinese children are taught that nothing matters except passing that "dreaded " college entrance exam (CEE). Real education is not important, nor is real learning. They just need to do whatever is needed to pass the next exam. Whenever I have an open discussion with my students about any changes that they would like to see in Chinese education, this is nearly always the first issue that comes up. They are absolutely weighed down and burdened with having to remember, VERBATIM, a lot of useless claptrap that for the most part adds nothing to their practical knowledge, ability, or emotional and mental development. In fact it often does the opposite, by turning them into unthinking automatons who are unable to think critically about things. From this fundamental problem, stems the three other main causes of their impeded progress.

2. Chinese students do not generally practice using the target language outside of the classroom, enough.

This is related to the first problem. Most students are so drained out with rote-learning and practice for exams, which they are taught is the whole purpose of learning, that real practice of the language is put on the back burner. Acquirement of a foreign language cannot come about without constant usage, practice and interaction with fellow English learners. Over the years most of my students have readily admitted that they don't practice anywhere near as often as they should, if at all.

3. Students generally use too much Chinese in their learning of English.

Again this problem is related to the fundamental problem of too much emphasis on exams. Chinese teachers use the short cut of translation methods of teaching primarily to facilitate students in passing their exams. Remember, exam passing is the main objective in most Chinese schools, so the end justifies the means. It doesn't matter whether Chinese students actually learn how to communicate in English; rather, all they need to do is remember enough to pass the exam. As far as China is concerned, if teaching them by use of Chinese can help them with this objective, then all is well and good. Another reason why the translation method is used, is because overburdened CTs do not generally have the time and energy required to put in the extra work and thought needed to prepare relevant and meaningful, communicative approach based lessons.

4. There is rampant cheating before, during, and after exams in China.

Because of the huge responsibility and burden that the average Chinese student has to carry, I almost can't blame them for often cheating (not that I tolerate it, mind you). Failing is not an option for a Chinese student. They have to pass exams and obtain degrees. Without such, life in a country with a population of 1.3 billion could become a hell on earth. Many students bribe teachers before and after exams to make sure that they pass, or get the desired mark. Although there have been moves to curb cheating by some of those in authority, in many parts of China, cheating is still the accepted norm; in fact it's woven into the fabric of Chinese society. Because of this cheating, many students are not benefiting from the REAL purpose of exams; an evaluation of their learning needs, and a guide for others, of their proven ability.

Add to those four basic problems above, the fact that Chinese teachers are generally too burdened and over-worked to function well and you have the recipe for Chinese students often failing to be able to function well in an English environment after many years of "learning" English. Yes, FTs who come to China to just party and play without making any effort to really teach their students, don't help the situation. However, as mentioned above, the fundamental problems plaguing EFL in China have little if anything to do with FTs.

A couple of weeks ago, i watched a 1973 movie titled "Serpico" which was based on the true story of a policeman in New York who found himself surrounded by police corruption. It effected him so badly, that he couldn't carry out the true function of his job. After speaking out against it, he soon soon realized that the problem went much deeper than a few bent officers on the street. To his horror, he realized that virtually the whole system was corrupt all the way up to the top. In the end he realized that the situation would never change until those in power were either sacked or changed their mindset; neither of which happened.

Look at the link below where Serpico points this fact out. Note particularly 37-39.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTE0NTk5NjQ=.html

This is almost the same as what is happening in EFL in China. The sacking of unmotivated FTs who are offering nothing to their students, and the replacing of them by motivated, competent FTs, WILL NOT HAPPEN while the present leaders of Chinese education remain in power with their present MINDSET. It won't happen because they don't care enough about the students or their learning, to allow it to happen. Generally, they care more about their position, prestige, power and bank balances. Many of them probably feel threatened by real FTs who really care about their students, and who will stop at nothing to actually help them learn. The more good teachers that come to China to teach, the more exposed are the charlatans at the top. Those charlatans amongst the leaders of Chinese education are actually actively seeking PRETEND teachers, because pretend teachers are the ones that will listen to them , preserve the status quo, and help them keep their positions. In the same way the top brass hated REAL policeman like Serpico, because he exposed them and brought their corruption and greed to light.

If a decorator was asked to hang beautiful wallpaper over cracks in a wall he might be able to get away with it. However, if that wall was crumbling and falling to peices, it would not matter how expert the decorator was; nor would it matter how fine the quality of wallpaper was that he was trying to hang. The wall would simply be in no condition to take the wallpaper. It would be impossible to paper the wall at all. Likewise the wall of EFL in China is falling apart. At the moment, because of the present mindset exhibited by those in charge, it's impossible for the amount of real qualified, motivated FTs that are needed in China, to be able to even come here in the first place. Those in authority, generally DON'T WANT THEM TO COME. When they do come, many of them are met with so much opposition that they often prove ineffective at making any real change here.

Just like the police system that Serpico worked under, the system of education in China is rotten at it's core. A few street detectives being replaced would not have sorted out the fundamental problems in Serpico's case. Those in power needed to be eradicated or have their mindset changed. Likewise, the WHOLE apple needs to be thrown away in China, and be replaced by a healthy and wholesome one.

The problem at the college you are leaving is not really the fault of the FTs, but the leaders who are obviously not truly motivated enough to make the necessary changes. I know you wont give up, because youre not a quitter, and you have a positive attitude. Although I think you are too scathing of FTs, sometimes, I do admire your balanced view of China and its education system. I know that you have suffered as much as any other FT with schools that dont measure up to your expectations. The fact that you still remain upbeat and positive amidst all this, says a lot about your positive personal qualities. Im glad to hear that youre going to a place that youll enjoy. I wish you all the best in your new venture. Im sure that youve never felt that even one minute of your time has been wasted, whatever the attitude of those around you. As long as we focus on what matters the most; our students and our doing the best job we can possibly do with them, thats all that matters. If you want to contact me by e-mail, please use the hotmail one I gave you. Because I hardly used the yahoo one that I posted on this site (thats the reason why I posted it), I forgot the password.

All the best,

Yingwen.

Messages In This Thread
Re: NEWBIES BEWARE! Pack of pitbulls, snakes in the grass -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-11
Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-12
Re: Let me finish that sentence...... -- whocares -- 2008-07-13
The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- riddlemethis -- 2008-07-15
Re: The "Serpico" Syndrome -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2008-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The "Serpico" Syndrome

Go to another board -