TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › 1st 2nd 3rd world, whatever.
Dos - 2004-10-29
In response to yes, really... (ESL_IN_ASIA)

The very fact that the developing nations don't have the laws that the developed lands have is an attraction for me, rather than the opposite. There may not be some types of security, but I feel safer in China than I have ever done in the west, certainly in the good old US, where the right to bear arms has killed more people than Chinese tanks! (I am not saying that govts killing their own is a good thing here of course, and don't condone that action).

However, I was fed up of the nanny state west, where you are taxed to the hilt and spoon fed what is 'good for you'. Sick to the back teeth.

I have traded that 'security' for the less organized but more dynamic developing nations. The opportunities here are numerous if you know where to look.
I am not saying there are no risks, but I don't call being wrapped in cotton 'living'.
I do also realize, of course, that a more adventurous life is not for everybody. Well, that's your choice too of course.

As for crimes against humanity, I don't believe that the US has a right to criticize anyone at the moment, what with all the fiasco in Iraq, plus the torture camps, sorry, humane detention centers. >:-(

I also don't think that there is any more 'distain' for foreigners in China than in the west. Perhaps (slightly misplaced) envy but not distain. I have seen more distain in the west that in China. Plenty more.

Not a good life you say? Again, I disagree. I too have been around the world, and had very nicely paid jobs in the west, but the life I live here is just as good, maybe more so than anywhere else.

There are risks, I acknowledge, but then there are risks getting out of bed. I believe you only have one life. I don't intend to sit around in a sanitized, but pretty environment being 'protected' from it. When I go, kicking and screaming into the cold damp earth I want to say I have been there, done that, seen those, lived damn it.

Ooooh, I think I need to go and lay down now... :ush

Messages In This Thread
Letters to Presidents, Ambassadors, & Ministers: -- Alan -- 2004-10-23
Let's post our accomplishments, here! -- Mild -- 2004-10-26
Unions -- Richard -- 2004-11-19
Keep sending those letters to President Roh, South Korea -- Stella -- 2004-10-27
really? -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-27
Third world? not really -- me -- 2004-10-28
Taking part in making history! -- Mild -- 2004-10-28
I will....thanks for the address -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-28
yes, really... -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-28
1st 2nd 3rd world, whatever. -- Dos -- 2004-10-29
Dos...go grab a beer and relax man -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-29
Chilled -- Dos -- 2004-10-30
One world -- me -- 2004-10-29
Yawn....you again -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-29
Sho fly, don't bother us! -- Beatrix -- 2004-10-30
It must be the smell from your pile in your head -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › 1st 2nd 3rd world, whatever.

Go to another board -