TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › No problem, I think....make a go
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-31
In response to Dark skin in S. Korea (Spa)

Hi,

I dont know about Korea, but I can tell you about Japan and it might be similar. In the big metropolis where most of the foreign teachers like to go, for example Tokyo, the competition is tight and the schools prefer teachers younger than 34: blond hair and blues eyes are a big plus.

However, if you look about 2 hours out of the main city, the schools will not look at race, only native speaking ability. For example, in my school we have a Filipino and a Chinese-American. The Filipino is not even a native English speaker but super with kids; ergo, shes employable.

My guess is dont shoot for the big cities that most foreigners know from their atlas. Do be prepared for racism, albeit subtle, from some interviews. However, I believe you can do it just fine with the right strategy. Anyway, sorry that isnt enough information but Im sure someone will come along with more details to help you.

Welcome Aboard to the board.. >\-|
>\-|

Messages In This Thread
Dark skin in S. Korea -- Spa -- 2004-10-31
Colored in Korea. -- Jo -- 2004-10-31
No problem, I think....make a go -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › No problem, I think....make a go

Go to another board -