TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › THE HONESTY OF RECOGNITION
The Arrogant One - 2004-10-31
In response to You win (A.)

Mr. "A." ...

I am happy that you have reconsidered your posture with regard to the point I was attempting to make about your English language skills. NO, I do NOT consider this some kind of "victory," nor do I expect you to offer me twenty years of bonded servitude as tenable compensation for the damages you have inflicted upon my "ego." Of course, I know that English is your second language, and looking at it from that standpoint, you use it well enough. It's only the "TEACHER" part that gets my goat! Like the majority of the "foreign experts" who have been imported by various countries throughout Asia, I spent 4 hard years in acquiring my teaching degree ... something which establishes us as qualified to teach the English language. Then, too, as a direct result of being native speakers, we are (or SHOULD be!) acquainted with the colloquial and idiomatic ins and outs of English. In my experience, I have encountered only one exception to this rule, a Japanese ex-employer of mine, and this was during the roughly 5 years I spent in Tokyo in the rles of instructor, writer, and business manager. He was a native-born Osakan, who had studied English for a number of years, yet spent only 2 years as a resident of the USA, as a simultaneous interpreter (Japanese to English). Later, when CNN was available in Japan, he was one of the first to acquire same, while, from what he told me, he had it on both day AND night ... even while he was sleeping! When I first met the gentleman, I assumed he was a Japanese-American (judging from his NY accent), B-U-T, I was later astounded to learn the REAL story. Up to that time, my venerable ex-employer had written over 100 educationally-oriented books, at least HALF of which were in English! Now, if that isn't a story to give hope to anyone whose second language is English, I don't know what the hell is! Christ! It even gives ME some measure of inspiration!!!

THREE words, was it? In Latin, was it? The only Latin words I used in my last post were: gluteus maximus, meaning buttocks. No, A., GERMAN happens to be my second language.

Keep in touch, my friend.

Peace,
The Arrogant One >\-|

> O.K. Mr. Arrogant One,

> You win. Are you happy?

> I understand now that you are no longer in Asia, yet find it useful
> spending the time to writing out your feelings on a discussion forum
> where most of the teachers themselves are actually in foreign
> countries as we speak.

> ...and your point about my English is well taken and could stand some
> improving, but I'm sorry for that, because you see English is my
> second langauge.

> May I ask you Mr. AO, what is your second language?

> I noticed in your previous post, that you have some knowledge of
> Latin.
> I'm guessing that I should be amazed by this or maybe you expect I
> can't understand the three words you typed for this silly eastern
> minded person to try and figure out the meaning.

> I'm sure I can type out three words that you wouldn't be able to
> understand.

> Ah so what. It makes no difference.
> You are a great big western man of the world and really know how to
> reveal your higher intellect, on a discussion forum.

Messages In This Thread
cities in the south -- A. -- 2004-10-29
SHENZHEN??? You GOTTA be joking!!! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-30
Thanks for making me laugh on a dreary Sunday morning, far from home! -- marie -- 2004-10-31
enemy to all -- A. -- 2004-10-31
Like Starbucks, there's one on every corner! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-31
A and O -- A. -- 2004-10-31
PLEASE don't tell me you're "a teacher!" -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-31
You win -- A. -- 2004-10-31
THE HONESTY OF RECOGNITION -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-31
Is this the custom here? -- x21 -- 2004-10-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › THE HONESTY OF RECOGNITION

Go to another board -