TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Do I have to look like Brad Pitt to find a good job in China?
jersey - 2008-07-23

It depends on the school, uni or college that is hiring you, but in my experience some of the Chinese did go on looks alone. I worked in China a few years ago and had blonde hair, blue eyes and very pale skin hence I fitted a certain stereotype. However I did have qualifications and experience to back me up, but it mostly depends on the school .etc. I don't think you need to be extreme enough to get a nose job and so on, but each to their own. Some Chinese people find white skin exotic and do all they can to avoid the sun even during the summer months. I was treated like a bit of a celebrity in China greeted by claps and bombarded with questions .etc. It got a bit overwhelming for me after a while and I wanted to hide!!!!
Some Chinese do like to hear success stories, so it does help if you have had some kind of success in the past from being a published writer to an ex-dancer or pilot or whatever.
I suggest going to China without doing a TESOL or CELTA first just to see whether you like EFL or not. I'm not sure whether the Chinese hire people without degrees, but it could depend on which part you are going to.
Good Luck with your job search and you don't need to get a nose job!!!!!

Messages In This Thread
Do I have to look like Brad Pitt to find a good job in China? -- The Owl -- 2008-07-11
Re: Do I have to look like Brad Pitt to find a good job in China? -- jersey -- 2008-07-23
Re: Do I have to look like Brad Pitt to find a good job in China? -- joker -- 2008-07-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Do I have to look like Brad Pitt to find a good job in China?

Go to another board -